UW to conclude road trip

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]orig_MH_16_bf_416[/media-credit]Despite the snow and cold around Madison, the Kohl Center has remained iceless for the month of February, as No. 2 Wisconsin has spent the last three weeks on a WCHA road trip, with a detour along the way for a game at Lambeau Field. This weekend, that road trip concludes with a two-game series at Minnesota State (14-16-4, 10-13-3 WCHA).

UW (21-7-3, 15-6-3 WCHA) sits just two points behind conference-leading Minnesota in the standings. With only two weeks remaining in the regular season, the Badgers have some making up to do if they want to finish the season holding the MacNaughton Cup, the prize for the best regular-season WCHA team each year.

The Mavericks have a good chance to be spoilers this weekend. The Badgers have struggled playing at Minnesota State, which joined the conference for the 1999-2000 season. Since that time, Wisconsin has gone 4-5-1 in Mankato.

"They're hard-working grinders. They play a lot like us, and that's the toughest way to win when a team tries to outwork you," Badger forward Ryan MacMurchy said. "It's going to be a tough series, but we're going to be ready to go."

The Badgers will be chasing a Minnesota team that has a pair of series left against Alaska-Anchorage and Minnesota-Duluth, two teams looking up at the rest of the WCHA. Wisconsin will also be looking over its shoulder at the Denver Pioneers, who sit just one point behind the Badgers in the standings.

As it chases the MacNaughton Cup, however, Wisconsin won't lose sight of the playoffs looming just ahead. Head coach Mike Eaves believes seeking the regular season championship only helps in preparation for a playoff run, and vice versa.

"By doing one, you could achieve the other," Eaves said. "We're looking to get ourselves back to where we're on a roll. We're positive, and we're just gaining momentum here as we get ready for the playoffs."

Unfortunately for the Badgers, they will have to prepare for the playoffs minus assistant captain Andrew Joudrey, who has been sidelined due to injury. The junior forward has been an asset on the defensive side of the puck all season, and his leadership will be missed.

"You can't replace Joudrey," goaltender Brian Elliott said. "We have a lot of depth in our forwards, but he's a vocal guy out there. He knows where to be at the right time. We're definitely looking forward to him coming back."

Joudrey's offensive stats won't raise any eyebrows, with 15 points on seven goals and eight assists, but his absence will certainly be felt on defense, where his abilities were critical to the team's overall success.

"In key moments, he'd be one of the guys we'd have out there in a defensive situation," Eaves said of Joudrey. "He's a very balanced player. Offensively, he can give you some things … and then away from the puck, he's very intelligent."

The Badgers can find some hope in the fact that they finally have their Hobey Baker candidate Elliott back in net. Elliott played for the first time since Jan. 14 Saturday night at Michigan Tech, giving up four goals in a 4-4 tie. He has continued to make progress, coming back from a knee injury that hobbled him for four weeks.

"This week has been the best week so far," Elliott said. "I haven't felt any twinges or pains or anything. I feel like I'm to a point now where it's just about conditioning and getting [the] legs ready for a game."

Eaves hasn't said yet whether Elliott will play both games, though the junior is slated to start Friday night's match. Backup goaltender Shane Connelly has struggled in Elliott's absence, but earned the first shutout of his career last Friday at Michigan Tech.

While Eaves said the Badgers don't have a goalie controversy on their hands by any means, Elliott would prefer to play both games.

"It's something that's hard to do when you just play one game," Elliott said. "It's tough to just get in there and sit out. If I get the opportunity, I'd like to play those two games."

At this point in the season, the Badgers are fighting the exhaustion of having played hockey for five months now. MacMurchy was hampered this week by a slight illness, and the fatigue has shown on some players' faces.

"Your legs are getting tired, your body's getting tired and exams are also right around the corner," Elliott said of the long season. "You just have to fight through that, and that's the mentality right now."

With the playoffs just two short weeks away, the Badgers have clear objectives in sight. One point in the standings secures home ice in the WCHA playoffs, and Wisconsin is still in contention for a regular-season title.

"We still have a chance to win the Cup, and we've got to get a sweep," MacMurchy said. "Playoff hockey starts this weekend."