Surging Wisconsin hoping to upset Purdue

As the Wisconsin women's basketball team closes out a disappointing season, there's still much to be played for in its Big Ten finale against Purdue.

The Badgers look to make it four wins out of their last five games in the Big Ten and to finish with a 6-10 record in conference play, a one-game improvement from last year's season.

But to beat Purdue, they will have to play a game like they did when they defeated Minnesota last Sunday.

"We [have] had balanced scoring now for three-straight games, and that helps us," said UW head coach Lisa Stone.

Stone said the team has instituted a "60-70-80" rule recently, which has helped set goals during each game in going for the win.

"It was hold them under 60 points, score 70 points [ourselves] and shoot 80 percent from the free-throw line," Stone said. "When we score 70-plus points, we're successful. Our game goals of 60-70-80 have helped us. We didn't reach them all [last Sunday], but we're close."

The Badgers did not accomplish any of those goals in their showing in West Lafayette earlier in the season, when Wisconsin lost 77-57. Stone hopes some of her young post players have grown up since that loss and will produce better this time around.

"That game was our first game a long time ago, and we're a totally different team, as they are," Stone said. "Danielle [Ward] and Caitlin [Gibson] have come around. When you've got two 6-4 players that provide a different look, Danielle is going to run the floor and Caitlin is going to bang with people."

The experience the duo has learned throughout the season at running their new style of offense seems to be finally reaping its rewards.

"The offense that we're running, there's no secret about the swing, and [UW men's head] Coach [Bo] Ryan's input and so forth," Stone said. "But if the ball doesn't touch the post, we're not going to be successful offensively.

"Now that [that] has triggered in our brain a little bit, we're going inside and we're scoring," Stone continued. "And balanced scoring has helped us. It takes a lot of pressure off our perimeter players."

Still, Wisconsin will continue to rely on the services of sophomore guard Jolene Anderson, who leads the team in scoring (16.8 points per game), rebounding (7.0), assists (3.7) and steals (2.1). She has been in double-figure scoring every game this year and will have to play a big role for the Badgers to pull off the upset.

Looking to contain Anderson for Purdue will be Katie Gearlds. Like Anderson, the junior guard was a Big Ten Freshman of the Year and currently leads her respective team in scoring.

"Purdue is just a great basketball team," Stone said. "They're very long. Their guards are 6-3 and 6-4. Gearlds … can shoot the 3, and she's a great guard, tremendous player.

"Purdue can't afford to not play well at this time of year, and they won't. Everyone right now is jockeying for position in the Big Ten tournament. And they'll bring their best here to the Kohl Center on Sunday," Stone added.

Even if Purdue is the favorite, it will have to bring its best, as it has the difficult task of coming to Madison on Senior Night. The emotions will be at a season high, and the Badgers will hope to ride that high to a victory.

"The environment, I think, will be great," Stone said. "It's going to be a great afternoon with our men playing [with us] following up. But for the seniors, it's their last hurrah. And as … they say their last farewells, they're going to come into that game trying to win the game. That's going to be the most important part, is that we prepare to be successful on Sunday night," Stone said.

The four Badger seniors have put their hearts into this program for four long years, and they would love nothing more than to leave a lasting memory the last time they walk off the Kohl Center court.