Clum brings mental advantage to mats in final year

"Smart." That's the one word UW wrestling head coach Barry Davis used to describe Tom Clum.

Davis could have used a number of adjectives such as fast, strong or tough to describe his All-American, but according to Davis, it is Clum's head that sets him apart from the rest of the pack.

"You're talking about a guy who can break down film better than anyone; he can look at opponent's strengths and turn them into weaknesses for the opposition and advantages for himself," Davis said. "I can go up to Tom [Clum] and explain to him a very complex and technical move, and he'll get it. I can't say that about everyone."

Clum became the focal point of UW wrestling following a superb junior season, in which the Colorado native went 28-5 overall while taking home third place at the 2005 NCAA Championships and Big Ten Championships.

Unfortunately Clum's senior season got off to rocky start. After suffering a wrist injury, Clum was sidelined for the first seven matches of the season, leaving a vacancy at the 133-pound weight class.

"He's our leader on and off the mats and he was missed, but regardless, we have a veteran team and we kept it steady until he returned," Davis said.

Clum, who missed nearly a month and a half of his senior season, also has a positive outlook on his injury.

"A lot of times toward the end of year you get tired, not just physically but also mentally, guys burn out," Clum said. "My season became a little shorter, and I feel 100 percent right now, I have no tick tack injuries or anything like that. I'm healthy and I'm focused going into the end of the season."

Clum entered this season with All-American honors as well as the No. 3-ranking in the country. While his accomplishments at UW have exceeded expectations, it is no surprise that he has become the unquestioned leader of the Badgers. Clum has been wrestling for nearly his whole life, and his prep career was nothing short of spectacular.

In high school, Clum was a three-time state champion while running off a state record of 148 consecutive wins before losing his final match as a senior.

While Clum's high school days may have been glorious, that is the past, and he is focused on the present.

"Anything I did previously means nothing," Clum said. "I don't have much more time here but we've lost a lot of close matches this year and that happens, but right now I'm focused on doing well in the Big Ten tournament and the NCAAs."

It is no secret that the team has shown inconsistency this season, as it has switched off wins and losses nearly the whole season. After winning their first four matches of the season, the Badgers have struggled to win close matches, resulting in a less than satisfying 4-3 Big Ten record.

"We've struggled closing out matches this year," Davis said. "It's no secret if you want to win you have to win the close ones, and we haven't been doing that. But we're working on it right now, and I told the team if you want to do anything in the post-season we've got to work hard on closing out matches."

This year, Clum hasn't had any problems closing out matches, as he is the rock of stability that he was expected to be to start the season. He currently sports a 10-2 record, with only one loss in the Big Ten.

"Right now, in terms of ability and training, he has exceeded last year, which is not easy to do considering the season he had," Davis said. "I spoke to Clum, and I told him he's doing great, but just like anyone he's got to work on a few things like being on top and riding time. But he showed that he can make adjustments and do the things necessary to become a better wrestler in the future."

And all along the way you can be sure he'll be using his head.