13 questions with Clayton Hanson

1. What is it like to be back with the team as a scout teamer after finishing your playing career at UW?

It's a good thing to be a part of, a good thing to be around. Since I finished up school, it is just another way to keep involved and keep in touch with the guys and keep in shape.

2. Is there anyone on the team now that could beat you in a 3-point-shooting contest?

I'm sure, I'm sure [laughing]. I'm telling you, I'm out of season. I'm not in training, so I'm sure [Kammron Taylor] could give me a run for my money.

3. What's your biggest pet peeve?

Guys who come into Wisconsin and don't take full advantage of the opportunities they're given. It's unfortunate when somebody doesn't realize that.

4. What would you call your best basketball moment?

I think back to the win at Michigan State my junior year. [Devin Harris] goes off and the game goes into OT. He got triple-teamed and he kicks it out to me [for the game-winning shot]. They had the banner already hanging for winning the conference and we went up there and upset them. That's one. All the Big Ten championships. Regular season and tournament are special as well.

5. Your life rests on making this basket. Who is the one person you don't want guarding you?

Alando Tucker. His athleticism. The thing is that if he knows that, if he knows all that is on the line, he is going to be playing. I think what Coach is trying to get across is for him to play like that all the time, because he has all the tools.

6. Your house is about to be hit by a tornado. Your family, friends and pets are all safe in the cellar. What are you running back in to grab?

At this point, probably my laptop computer. Music, photos … I think that is probably about everything.

7. Word Association

Taking charges: Floor burn.

Winning: Big Ten.

UW-M: Fortunate.

Three-pointer: Kick-out.

Alando Tucker: Athletic.

Bo Ryan: Winner.

8. How many shots did you take a day when you were on the team?

In season, you really don't keep track just because it's just shot through; you just keep a running tab as to how you're shooting. In the offseason, I can't pick a number off the top of my head. I know I was in here quite a bit.

9. Shots you shoot a day now.

Well, when I'm practicing, I probably shoot more because I'm on the scout team and usually playing [one of the upcoming opposing team's] shooters. Practice-wise, I'm not getting nearly as many up as I used to.

10. Most embarrassing basketball moment?

Maybe my haircut my freshman year. I had a buzz haircut and it didn't do much for me.

11. True or false: Student athletes are criticized too harshly by media and fans.

True, I guess. It's a give and take. I think what people gotta remember is that these are 18-to-22-year-old kids. I think people need to keep it in perspective.

12. Thing beyond basketball that no one can beat you at.

On the road, the night before the game we line up and everyone gets two cups of water. Rules are one cup at a time chugging it. So I guess you can get the idea where that is coming from, but chugging water on the road, they can challenge me all they want.

13. What's your next career move?

I took a job in Chicago. I start in July doing investment banking.