After weekend of Thanks, time to examine annoyances

Doesn't coming back to school from Thanksgiving stink? One minute you're eating actual food, getting actual sleep and having actual free time and then, wham — you're sitting in a class drawing a picture of a turkey, only this time it's your yahoo professor, blabbering about something. So, with that in mind, rather than focusing on things I'm thankful for, how about we take the other approach and examine subjects that, in the wake of Thanksgiving, are a bit of a downer. After all, it's rough coming back from a break.

Everyone wants to sack Sherman — sometimes, facing the facts is inevitable. Dreaming is always fun, but generally one has to wake up and smell the coffee — in Green Bay maybe it's the breakfast brats.

A great movie character once explored the wonders of the phrase, "When in Rome … " Of course, the end of that little piece of advice is " … do as the Romans do." Right now, "Rome" for the Green Bay Packers is in the bottom heap of the National Football League. And to do as the Romans are doing, the Packers are going to have to stay in their current tailspin — and realistically, keeping pace with the Houston Texans in terms of losing is harder than it looks, mainly when the goal of football, as Herm Edwards would say, is to win the game.

Accepting that fact has been harder for most diehards than finding Mark Hamill these days. Some thought of hope was even still alive with the Pack at 2-7 in the powerhouse (cue sarcasm) NFC North division. Consecutive losses at home against the Minnesota Vikings and on the road to the Philadelphia Eagles — both of whom are relying on backup signal callers — have pretty much sucked the belief out of even the most optimistic followers. And who can blame them? This season has been a nightmare, with each week seemingly providing a new horror film that emanates out of Ashwaubenon into the rest of the state and the nation.

Injuries on offense, two gaping holes at guard in front of Brett Favre and a defense that, other than middle linebacker Nick Barnett, doesn't have a guy capable of making a play have left the Packers with their worst season since Lindy Infante left town. Still, firing Mike Sherman doesn't seem like the answer.

Sherman has probably never gotten the credit for re-establishing the discipline the franchise lacked under Ray Rhodes, and though his time as general manager was sub-par, canning him and risking the retirement of Favre doesn't make too much sense; especially with the lack of viable replacements likely to be available. Who knows, with a high pick (maybe even Reggie Bush) and a few moves, Green Bay could get back on track in a hurry. After all, this is the NFL; quick turnarounds are the name of the game.

Patriotic Bonds: So "Mr. Friendly" Barry Bonds wants to play for the United States in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. Yeah, that's a great idea … if America wants to do an East Germany impression. Can't wait to see how the United States looks to the rest of the world when it sends "The Incredible Hulk" out to play. See the thing is, other nations might get kind of angry when Team America includes a guy whose career is constantly clouded by suspicion of steroids. A positive to this is the event is allegedly going to have Olympic testing standards; maybe we'll all finally get some glimpse of the truth. Even so, seeing younger American players represent the United States would be a little more satisfying.

When will the madness end?: Earlier this week the Toronto Blue Jays made B.J. Ryan the highest paid reliever in the history of baseball. Yes, you read that correctly … the highest paid reliever in the history of baseball, at five years and $47 million. Ryan has been a closer for all of one season, when he saved 36 games for the Baltimore Orioles last year. To put that in perspective, that's three less saves than Derrick Turnbow had last season for the Brewers. This begs the question — will the overspending in baseball ever cease? Apparently not, because Paul Konerko signed a five-year, $60 million deal with the White Sox Wednesday, and apparently turned down even more lucrative contracts to return to the South Side. And, in seven seasons with Chicago, Konerko has averaged 29 home runs, 95 RBI and a .283 batting clip. That's worth $12 million a year? Ridiculous