‘Snake’ sheds his skin

Remember those old, terribly fuzzy and out of tune wildlife movies in junior high biology? You know, the ones the somewhat creepy teacher who liked to rock the wolf sweater would pop in when he or she didn't really feel like teaching? You'd have to write down a page of facts about whatever that particular monotone narrator was babbling about.

One of the most fascinating of these scintillating videos had to be the one on snakes — seriously, they might be a little freaky, but still, pretty cool. You know, the video that showed all the different kinds of snakes and how they shed their skin. Never thought that principle could translate to the world of football … but just take a look at the Denver Broncos. Mainly, take a look at the bearded man running the show for Mike Shanahan's Broncs.

It seems finally, after eight years of grabbing headlines as a freewheeling, gun-slinging quarterback, Jake "The Snake" Plummer has stumbled upon the winning formula. Gone is the glamorous guy who couldn't have been pumped any fuller with Joe Montana comparisons from day one of his career; he's been replaced by the man with a mustached mug shot who isn't being lauded as one of the future best in the business.

When Plummer broke into the league in 1997 — a second round pick of the Arizona Cardinals — he was an "in-style" quarterback, capable of making something out of nothing, able to scramble for yardage and improvise on the fly. Bill Walsh even talked him up.

"The Snake" wowed fans with his ability to slither out of trouble, leading seemingly comeback after comeback in his second pro season and giving the Cardinals their first playoff berth in 16 years. He followed that up by leading the "Cardiac Cards" to a first round playoff win over the Cowboys in Dallas. And, after beating out the likes of Kent Graham and Stoney Case as the starting signal caller midway through his rookie season, Plummer received the welcoming of a desert messiah in Arizona.

But those who praised him overlooked his penchant for taking — and making — mistakes. Plummer failed to throw more touchdowns than interceptions in any season until 2001, often digging himself the holes he would lead his team out of late in the game. And other than that 9-7 aberration in 1998, the Plummer era in the desert was pretty barren. The Cardinals reached the seven-win barrier only once, and posted four seasons of double-digit loss totals in Plummer's six-year tenure. In that time Plummer tossed 114 interceptions compared to 90 touchdowns — not exactly the stuff legends are made of.

So no wonder why nearly anyone with a rational mind had to do a double take when Shanahan and the Broncos handed "The Snake" a $40.7 million contract. Until a shoulder injury and subsequent Danny Kanell appearances spoiled Plummer's and Denver's season, the now-veteran was playing fairly efficient football. His 15-to-7 touchdown to interception ratio and 91.2 quarterback rating were the best yet of his career.

But last season Plummer's past cavaliering ways (he tossed 20 interceptions) bubbled to the surface once again, and it showed. As a team, Denver followed his lead, playing inconsistent football all year and losing to the Colts in the RCA Dome for the second consecutive season.

This year's been a different story. Maybe, just maybe, Jake "The Snake" has finally shed his skin. His Broncos sit atop the AFC West at 7-2, largely as a result of their leader's heady play — Plummer's tossed 13 touchdowns to just three interceptions. It didn't start that way though; all three of those picks (along with both of his fumbles on the year) came in the first two games of the season. Since then, he's made no mistakes, posting a quarterback rating of over 100 in five of seven games — six of which have been wins.

The one loss was a last-second defeat to the Giants in East Rutherford. So yes, Plummer has been pretty good.

And for all the praise being heaped on the Tom Bradys and Peyton Mannings of the NFL, Plummer is quietly stating his case for the league's Most Valuable Player award. Who woulda thunk it? I guess even football's "Snake" can shed his skin — and grow a little scruff at the same time.