Fantasy Fever, Week 10

Anyone who caught part of Pittsburgh's win at Green Bay got a glimpse at one of FF's favorite new sensations — Packers running back Samkon Gado. Not only does his last name kind of sound like the Spanish term for "cat," but Samkon grew up idolizing Christian Okoye. He even wears the No. 35 in honor of the "Nigerian Nightmare." Throw out the poor rushing average; his cool name combined with the fact that he will get a decent amount of carries makes Samkon a nice desperation pickup.

Well, to actually get on topic, last weekend was the day of unknowns stepping up. Scottie Vines, the entire Philadelphia Eagles' receiving corps and the re-emergence of Dennis Northcutt … what is going on? Any time Joey Harrington throws for more than 250 yards, you know the week is a strange one.

This week looks pretty standard. A track meet between the Rams and Seahawks looks like a pretty entertaining game. Ditto for the matchup between the Vikings and Giants. And the Colts get a chance to roll over the Texans. What a week …

Player of the Week

Shaun Alexander, RB Seattle Seahawks

23 carries for 173 yards and two touchdowns

The NFL's leading rusher, Alexander is an absolute touchdown machine. His yards per carry haven't always been the best in his career, but quietly he's been one of the best fantasy players.

Fantasy Mailbag

Dear Fantasy Fever,

My running backs (and top two picks) are now depleted with Priest Holmes and Ahman Green done for the season. I have a pretty good backup in Chris Brown, but my other starter is now Mewelde Moore. Are there any sleepers out there that I could pick up as a free agent or trade for cheap? I'm still currently in the playoff hunt and really want to win the prestigious hat that the top winner gets. It's really cool; it's autographed by Don Majkowski.

Sincerely,

Ron Mexico

Dear Mr. Mexico,

Hope the burn is starting to subside … kind of ironic that you have Mewelde Moore on your team as well, wouldn't you say? Well, you know what they say about common pastimes bringing people together.

But, in all seriousness, you do have some options. If your league doesn't have too many teams, there are guys like Antowain Smith or Samkon Gado who are default starting as a result of injuries. Otherwise, there are some backup/short-yardage guys with the potential for racking up touchdowns that are most likely available — Brandon Jacobs (Giants) and Greg Jones (Jaguars) come to mind right away.

Otherwise, if you are in a keeper league, you could try to dump off Holmes for a smaller return value to an owner in the toilet bowl range. Struggling teams are always looking toward next year, so the Priest might be an attractive guy even with the emergence of Larry Johnson.

Are you stuck with a passenger of the U.S.S. Fornication at running back? Ask Tom for some help. Drop him a line at [email protected].

Herald Smart Starts

QB Joey Harrington, Detroit Lions

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Harrington's not a bad play this week.

RB Samkon Gado, Green Bay Packers

With Tony Fisher still on the mend, Gado's a decent play. And, cool name, anyone?

RB Cedric Benson, Chicago Bears

He's starting to get more carriers, and heading into a match up with the 'Niners, that's a good thing.

WR Reggie Brown, Philadelphia Eagles

With T.O. gone, Brown is a solid play and he appears to have a nice rapport with Mr. McNabb.

WR Nate Burleson, Minnesota Vikings

Had a touchdown last week. It's probably worth the gamble that he's turning things around.

TE Marcus Pollard, Detroit Lions

Had a nice game last week, and with no receivers around him, should get a lot of balls thrown his way.