Speaking without thinking

We say many things we regret. Sometimes it’s because we don’t think before we talk, other times it’s because we let our emotions control our voice.

I have been known, on occasion, to speak without thinking and it has gotten me into a whirlwind of trouble. Even though my mouth has gotten me into trouble, I think it’s one of my greatest qualities. Anything you’ll hear from me is honest, and some of the things I say without thinking are quite humorous.

Although my mouth hasn’t stirred up any drama in a few months, my writing has. I guess I am now starting to write before I think too. My column last week was a classic example of writing before I think.

Last week, when I mentioned that I interviewed three Indiana basketball players and they asked for my number, I did not think it would cause much drama. Unfortunately it did, so I am taking advantage of this column to clear up the air.

First of all, one of those athletes asked for my number, not all three. Secondly, although I thought their actions were disrespectful, I did not think they were trying to be disrespectful.

With that said, I wish those three athletes and the rest of the Indiana basketball team the best of luck this season.

It is amazing how what you say can affect others, such as the case with Philadelphia Eagles wideout Terrell Owens.

Last week, NFL analyst Michael Irvin mentioned that the Eagles would be undefeated if Brett Favre were the starting quarterback.

It was just an opinion; however Owens took it a step further. In response to Irvin’s comment, he said, “That’s a good assessment, I would agree with that, just what [Favre] brings to the table. A number of commentators will say he’s a warrior, he’s played with injuries. I feel like him being knowledgeable about the quarterback position, I feel like we’d probably be in a better situation.”

Way to stir up more drama in Philly T.O.

Owens is a classic example of someone who speaks before he thinks. His actions have led to his being suspended from the team for four contests without pay and to his benching for the remainder of the season following the suspension, as Philly has chosen to keep him inactive for all the contests following his suspension. I guess he had finally opened his mouth one too many times.

Another example of talking without thinking came last week after Air Force dominated TCU, 48–10. In response to the loss, TCU coach Fisher DeBerry said in a press conference that TCU “had a lot more African–American players than we did and they ran a lot faster than we did. Afro–American kids can run very well. That doesn’t mean that Caucasian kids and other descents can’t run, but it’s very obvious to me that they run extremely well.”

Are you serious? I think coaches should hold themselves to a higher–class level than those insensitive remarks.

Finally, my favorite quote of all–time, resulting in an athlete not thinking before speaking, happened last year after Virginia defeated North Carolina in football 56–24.

During the game Marquis Weeks returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown. In response to his remarkable run Weeks said, “That was just instinct. Kind of like running from the cops, I guess you could say.”