Badgers fight through injuries in victory

With the Badgers forced to go to the air more in Saturday's 41-24 victory over Indiana, most Wisconsin fans were probably a bit nervous. Adding to their trepidation was the loss of senior tight end Owen Daniels on the first play from scrimmage with an ankle injury.

Daniels has been somewhat of a security blanket to quarterback John Stocco over the last two years, and he had 11 receptions for 140 yards and three touchdowns this season coming into the game.

But with Daniels relegated to the bench with a boot on his left leg, Stocco showed that he is just as comfortable throwing to Brandon Williams and Jonathan Orr as the passing game succeeded mainly in one-on-one coverage.

"For us to be successful today, [Williams] was going to have to have a good game," co-offensive coordinator Paul Chryst said. "We obviously want to be able to get him the ball."

Jason Pociask played a solid game in Daniels' absence. Usually more of a blocking tight end, the senior caught his first pass of the season, a 10-yard gain. Senior Joel Nellis also pitched in when the Badgers went with a two-tight-end formation.

"We didn't play with some good players," Chryst said. "Yet the trademark of this program is guys stepping up and playing well."

Details on Daniels' injury and a timetable for return are unknown.

Badgers will continue to be without Bernstein: For the second time in as many weeks, Brian Calhoun had to do most of his running without the blocking help of senior fullback Matt Bernstein. While it had previously been unclear, it was revealed after Saturday's game that the captain will most likely be out for an extended time.

"Matt's probably going to be out for a few weeks," head coach Barry Alvarez said.

With the Hoosier defense keying on Calhoun, the junior still managed to eclipse the 100-yard rushing mark, but he did so while gaining less than four yards per carry and did not break off a run of more than 17 yards.

The Badgers actually had to go one spot further down the depth chart in the game when backup Chris Pressley was also injured, forcing Bill Rentmeester to see action in the second half. But even relegated to the third-string fullback, Alvarez refused to let that be an excuse for a mediocre rushing game.

"Pressley hurt his ankle in the first half, so we're down to a third fullback," Alvarez said. "But that's no reason. [Indiana] did a good job, give them credit."

But the loss of Bernstein could no doubt come back to haunt them. Listed at 6-foot-2, 266 pounds, the senior can run like he weighs 250 and block like he weighs more than 300 pounds, acting as an extra offensive lineman in two-back sets.

The Badgers know that other teams will focus on Calhoun now, and that will only make the loss of Bernstein even more important.

Hayden makes impact after injury: Sometimes you find players that just won't let anything stop them from playing in the game.

Late in the third quarter, defensive lineman Nick Hayden left the game, favoring his arm. It looked as if Hayden would have an offensive series to shake off the injury, as the Badgers got the ball back, but Stocco threw an interception on the first play of the drive, bringing the defense back onto the field.

Hayden, freshly equipped with an elbow brace, quickly returned to the game and made an instant impact. In just his second play back, the sophomore forced Yamar Washington to fumble the football and the Badgers recovered.

"Injuries happen, bruises happen," Hayden said. "You just have to keep going and play through it."

On the very next possession, Joe Monty sacked Indiana quarterback Blake Powers, forcing a fumble; it was none other than Hayden who was there to fall on the loose ball as the defense created their second straight turnover.

"I just stepped up and made big plays right there," Hayden said. "I just happened to be in the right spot at the right time."