Senior tight end duo quietly thriving

[media-credit name=’DEREK MONTGOMERY/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]daniels_owen_416[/media-credit]In Wisconsin's 4-0 start this season, a lot of credit has deservedly been given to Brian Calhoun, who has rushed for 626 yards and nine touchdowns.

However, two unsung heroes who deserve some credit for Calhoun's success are senior tight ends Owen Daniels and Jason Pociask.

"In this offense, we put a lot of onus on the tight end to be a good blocker. When you talk about the line, you kind of forget about [the tight ends] who are so much of it," co-offensive coordinator Paul Chryst said.

On many of Calhoun's runs, Pociask has the unenviable task of blocking defensive ends. Luckily, at 6-foot-3 and 258 pounds, Pociask has adequate size for the job.

"It gives you an advantage when you can incorporate [Pociask] and put him on a defensive end," Chryst added. "It gives you a lot of flexibility and gives you the chance to do some other things with some other guys."

Although Daniels has the reputation primarily as a pass-catching tight end, he has greatly improved his blocking this season, allowing him to stay on the field in any kind of situation.

"In the past, I was just a pass-threat-only type of guy, but now when I'm in the game, I can [catch passes or block]," Daniels said. "I think it helps our offense out a lot."

Through the first four games, Daniels has 11 receptions for 140 yards and three touchdowns. Several of those receptions have come on a new addition to the Badger offensive playbook, the tight end screen play. The play allows Daniels to utilize his athleticism and speed in the open field, something the Naperville, Ill., native is enjoying.

"It's a great play. … It's something that coach Chryst brought in from when he was at Oregon State," Daniels said, "We try not to run it out of one formation. We try to spread it around and make it look different so teams can't key in on it. Hopefully we can keep running it and keep having success with it."

Chryst emphasized the importance of the tight ends in the Badgers' offensive scheme and gives Pociask and Daniels a lot of credit.

"Pociask has got some good athletic ability for your normal tight end," Chryst said. "Owen (Daniels) is very athletic."

Although Pociask dropped a pass Saturday against Michigan, Chryst still has plenty of confidence in the senior from Plainfield, Ind.

"He's got good hands," Pociask said. "When [the football] doesn't come your way a lot, you have a tendency to press when it does."

Although Pociask does not have any receptions so far in 2005, he proved himself as a commodity in the passing game last season against Minnesota when he caught four balls for 60 yards.

In addition to being a solid run blocker, Pociask excels in the classroom. In 2004 he was an Academic All-Big Ten selection.

"[Academics were] a big part of my decision to come here," Pociask said. "The University of Wisconsin is always up there in the lists of the best colleges in the country."

Not surprisingly, both of the unsung heroes aren't too concerned with personal goals. Rather, they're both looking to put together a successful season as a team in their final years on campus.

"I want [the team] to finish the season completely," Pociask said. "Put one together for Coach Alvarez in his last year."

"I don't have any [numbers] specifically in mind," Daniels added. "We have so many guys on this team who can make plays, and there's only one ball. I'm not concerned with touchdowns or balls or yards."