Badgers outclaw Wolverines

[media-credit name=’DEREK MONTGOMERY/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]stocco1_dm_416[/media-credit]It was a long time coming … 11 years to be exact.

But when Wisconsin walked off the field Saturday night following their upset victory against perennial Big Ten power No. 14 Michigan, years of trepidation melted away into pure ecstasy.

Thanks to a four-yard touchdown run from quarterback John Stocco with just 24 seconds left in the game, the Badgers improved to 4-0 (1-0 Big Ten) for the second year in a row, while snapping a winless streak against the Wolverines (2-2, 0-1) dating back to 1994. The win also improved head coach Barry Alvarez's record against the Maize and Blue to 3-7 all-time.

"It's a big win and we put a lot into it and it's a good team that we beat," Alvarez said. "I'm thrilled with the win, it's one of the bigger wins we've had in our program."

With the encouragement of 83,022 screaming fans, the second-largest crowd in Camp Randall history, UW fought back from an early 13-3 deficit to topple the two-time defending Big Ten champions 23-20 in their first visit to Camp Randall since the 2001 season.

"That was the most unbelievable atmosphere I've ever been in in my entire life. The fans were incredible," Stocco said. "I couldn't believe how loud it was. It just feels great to do this for coach. I'm really happy for him."

Stocco gave Wisconsin the lead for good, when, after missing on his previous two pass attempts into the end zone on first and second down, scampered to paydirt on an unexpected quarterback draw on third down.

"We rolled the dice and it worked," offensive coordinator Brian White said of the play. "John did a great job of sinking the linebackers, and they dropped off and found a way to get into the end zone. The line did a great job of blocking and Brian Calhoun made a critical block on the play."

But the play was actually suggested by wide receivers coach Henry Mason, who noticed a tendency along the Michigan defensive front that allowed the play to work.

"[Mason] said, 'Look at them inside, they're flying out of there,'" Alvarez said. "I thought it was a good call, rather than to hand it off or throw it in the end zone. I thought it was very safe because we had an extra timeout."

"We expected them to run the football on that down because they had a timeout left. Even if the run isn't successful, the way they had run the football, we fully expected them to run on that down," Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr admitted. "They just did a good job of executing a good play. It was a good call on their part."

Even the Badger players expected a run in the situation, just not from their junior signal caller.

"I was expecting to run the ball, personally, with either me or Bernie," Wisconsin tailback Brian Calhoun confessed. "We haven't used a quarterback draw in practice or in a game since training camp, so I was really surprised by that call."

Up until Stocco's scamper, Calhoun, who finished the game with 35 carries for 155 yards and one touchdown to go along with a team-leading seven catches for 59 yards, was the workhorse on the drive. The Colorado transfer carried the ball five times for 21 yards and caught a pair of passes for 19 more against a drained Wolverine defense.

"We were out there too long. We made some mistakes in the kicking game and gave them great field position in the entire second half," Carr said. "I gained a lot of respect for [Calhoun]. I liked him coming into this game but he is one tough guy. He keeps coming."

UW relinquished the lead earlier in the fourth quarter on a 49-yard pass from Henne to freshman wideout Mario Manningham. Having picked up a first down on the previous play, Michigan took a chance on first-and-10, executing a flea-flicker to perfection as Manningham beat UW's Allen Langford deep on the post route.

Wisconsin, which chipped away at the early Michigan lead with a trio of field goals from sophomore Taylor Mehlhaff, took their first lead of the game early in the fourth quarter on a six-yard touchdown run from Calhoun.

Wisconsin backup safety Johnny White, who also recorded an interception while filling in for the injured Joe Stellmacher, had forced a key fumble on the Wolverines second play from scrimmage that was recovered by mike linebacker Mark Zalewski to set up the touchdown run.

Following the loss, Michigan dropped out of the rankings in both the AP and USA Today coaches polls, the first time the Wolverines have been absent from the AP poll since Oct. 18, 1998. Wisconsin jumped to No. 17 in both polls with their victory.

"I always wanted to beat Michigan," cornerback Brett Bell said. "When you come into the Big Ten you always want to be the teams like Michigan and Ohio State. After what happened a couple years ago it's really great to get this win."