Alvarez adjusting to life on U.S. links

Last week I was fortunate enough to play nine holes with UW women's golfer Isabel Alvarez and witness first-hand what kind of player she is. One would never know it by looking at her, but Alvarez can crush a golf ball. With a smooth, effortless swing and a monster driver that she calls the best part of her game, the future is looking bright for UW women's golf.

Alvarez, a freshman haling from Asturias, Spain, was a member of the 2003 and 2004 Spanish national teams and was one of the Badgers' top recruits this off-season. She enters her freshman season with an undeniable international track record that includes a semi-finals appearance at the 2003 British Girls Championship, a sixth-place finish at the 2004 Spanish Regional Team Championship and a win at the 2003 Nuevo Portil National tournament.

Alvarez, who had never been to the United States before this year, came to Wisconsin with limited ability in the English language and without knowing a single person. While there is certainly going to be an adjustment period to life in the United States, she is not too concerned. She is currently taking English-language classes in order to break down the language barrier that sometimes stands between her and her friends and teammates.

Alvarez came to Wisconsin in order to receive a quality education while playing competitive golf, something she would not have been able to do in her home country. Since arriving in Madison on her first trip to America, Alvarez has enjoyed her time as a student athlete at the University of Wisconsin.

"Wisconsin is a great school and a cool place to live with a lot of really friendly people," Alvarez said.

While Alvarez does speak adequate English, she says the toughest part of her adjustment to life in the U.S. has been learning the language. She says her coaches have been very helpful with her adjustment period and that they will continue to make her transition on and off the golf course an easy one.

"[Isabel] seems to be adjusting very well, seems to be very happy, really enjoying the team, the university and the whole city," head coach Todd Oerhlein said.

With all the hype that surrounds an international recruit of Alvarez's status, she remains humble in her approach to the game.

"I just want to do my best and help the team win," Alvarez said.

Alvarez says her parents have been the biggest influence in her life and were instrumental in her making the trek across the Atlantic.

"My parents played golf and without them I would never have made it here," Alvarez said.

As our round went on and the pars kept coming for Alvarez, she continued to make me look quite pathetic. On the course I saw an even-tempered person with a genuine love of the game she has been playing since she was eight years old.

"I have always considered golf a hobby and always tried to have fun and not take it too seriously," Alvarez said.

As we walked to the green on the last hole, I asked Isabel if she minded playing with a hacker like myself. Her response was, "I just love to play golf."

While it remains uncertain whether Isabel will redshirt this year, Oehrlein remains optimistic she will contribute.

"Hopefully she plays her way in," Oerhlein said. "She's put up some really good scores and has the ability to make the team but we are just looking to see a little more consistency from her."

Either way, Alvarez says she is still looking forward to practicing with the team and hopes to qualify for competition this semester.

Alvarez is popular with both her coaches and teammates and is not at all overwhelmed by life in a new country. Whenever she does make her first official appearance on the course for the Badgers, Oehrlein will be expecting to see her fulfill her potential.

"She fits in great and has a great personality," Oehrlein said. "She's got a lot of ability, a lot of talent. We're really looking forward to it."