UW rides streak into Big Ten road trip

[media-credit name=’DEREK MONTGOMERY/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]softball1_dm_416[/media-credit]The Wisconsin softball team will venture back into Big Ten play this weekend with two games at No. 19/21 Iowa (41-9, 8-4 Big Ten) today and Saturday before heading into a doubleheader at Illinois (20-23, 1-11) Sunday afternoon. Both teams should prove tough opponents, as Iowa looks to maintain its third-place position in the Big Ten and Illinois has basically nothing to lose at this point.

Wisconsin (22-20, 6-8) comes into the weekend on a four-game winning streak after sweeping its last two doubleheaders against Indiana and Northern Iowa, but they face a tough Iowa team that has won its last 11 games and took three of five games from the Badgers last season.

The Hawkeyes present a myriad of problems for the Badgers. As of Monday, Iowa had a team ERA of 1.30, second in the Big Ten and better than any single pitcher on the Badger staff. The Hawkeyes are led by senior hurler Lisa Birocci. Birocci currently leads the conference in wins with 23 and has struck out 206 batters on her way to a miniscule 1.10 ERA. The other arm on their staff is Ali Arnold, a junior with a 17-2 record, 169 strikeouts, and a 1.42 ERA.

The Badgers and Hawkeyes are a little more evenly matched on offense. Their team averages are nearly identical, but Iowa has slightly more power than Wisconsin. Led by Emily Nichols, a slugger with 16 home runs and a team-high .349 batting average, Iowa has collectively knocked 54 balls out of the park this year.

But Wisconsin has also been familiar with the long ball this year. The Badgers have already broken their previous team record of 23 home runs in a season, and they have hit home runs at a phenomenal rate, with 39 homers in their 42 games so far. Boo Gillette has been at the forefront of the power surge, with 10 home runs this season, followed closely by Anastasia Miller with nine blasts of her own.

The key for the Badgers against both Iowa and Illinois will be their defense. Along with the excellent team hitting, Wisconsin’s pitching has continued to be reliable. Eden Brock and Katie Layne have performed strongly this season, with ERAs of 2.43 and 2.79, respectively. The defense, on the other hand, has struggled. The Badgers are the worst in the Big Ten in fielding percentage.

But things have improved in recent games, and head coach Karen Gallagher thinks the team is finally putting everything together.

“You have to hit well, pitch well and play good defense, and that’s been an issue for us this year to make sure all those three are complete,” Gallagher explained. “I think we’ve been doing a much better job of it the last couple of weeks. I feel like we’re getting there.”

After facing the Hawkeyes, Wisconsin will meet a far less fierce, yet still determined Illinois ball club. Illinois has had something of a fall from grace this season, dropping from a second-place conference finish and an appearance in the Big Ten tournament last year to a 1-11 record in conference play. But the Badgers will be ready for anything when they head to Champaign on Sunday.

“Illinois is tougher than they look,” Gallagher said. “We don’t take any team lightly in the Big Ten. Illinois might look like they’re down, but I know the talent that’s there. They’re at a point where they have nothing to lose, too.”

With a team ERA of 4.03, Illinois’ biggest threat comes on offense. The Badgers will have to watch out for first baseman Jenna Hall, who leads Fighting Illini with a .350 batting average, 36 RBIs and 7 home runs. Illinois also has some speed in Rachelle Coriddi, the shortstop that shares the conference lead in triples and has stolen 19 bases in 21 attempts.

This weekend will be one of the most important of the season for the Badgers. They have only six conference games left this year, including the four against Iowa and Illinois, and their Big Ten tournament hopes are riding in the balance. Wisconsin is currently tied for seventh with Minnesota and would be in the playoffs were the season to end today, so Gallagher’s squad hopes to secure their spot in the playoffs as soon as possible.

“You can’t rely on other people to knock each other off,” said Gallagher of the team’s tournament hopes. “I think we have to know that we have to win some more games in the Big Ten to make sure that we’re in that Big Ten tournament.”

By Sunday night, the Badgers could be as high as third in the conference, or as low as a tie for ninth. If they put together the complete games that Gallagher has talked about, they should soon be looking forward to the Big Ten tournament.

“There is no reason why we shouldn’t be there,” Gallagher said of the playoffs. “With the talent we have and the motivation, seeing that we have this many seniors that want to make sure we have that experience, I’m planning on being there.”