Brückler’s standout career reaches end of road

[media-credit name=’AJ MACLEAN/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Bruckler_AM_416[/media-credit]When the final seconds of last Friday’s 4-1 loss to Michigan ticked away, it wasn’t just the end of the season for the University of Wisconsin men’s hockey team. As the Van Andel Arena horn sounded, an era of the program ended — senior goaltender Bernd Bruckler had played his last game for the Badgers.

For his part, Bruckler stopped 27 Wolverine shots in the game while allowing a quartet of goals. One of those goals, a heavy slap shot from Michigan standout forward Jeff Tambellini, came with Bruckler screened out by Michigan captain Eric Nystrom. Michigan’s third goal deflected off a Wisconsin stick on a 3-on-1 Wolverine odd-man rush.

“It’s disappointing for me right now, obviously we just ended the game about a half-hour ago, and I’m standing here and my career is done,” Bruckler said after the loss. “I love this program and I love our coaches, all the guys, all my teammates in the locker room. I’m just really proud of having had a chance to play with them over the course of my career here.”

Over the course of his career, Bruckler has returned the favor and made Wisconsin proud on numerous occasions. His performance against Michigan, not the best of Bruckler’s career but far from the worst, was a bittersweet ending to the senior’s celebrated career. The Graz, Austria, native ranks amongst the top goaltenders in Wisconsin history — no small task considering the quality of netminders who have passed through the program.

Former New York Rangers star and U.S. National team member Mike Richter.

Perennial National Hockey League All-Star Curtis Joseph.

Jim Carey, who won 35 games in net for the Washington Capitals during the 1995-96 season.

The man who immediately preceded Bruckler, Graham Melanson, left Wisconsin as the school’s all-time wins leader.

The list goes on, and Bruckler’s accomplishments are on par with some of Wisconsin’s finest. His 2.09 goals against average a season ago is tops in the UW record book for a single season. Ditto for his save percentage last year.

Over his four years, Bruckler has played 113 games in net for the Badgers, the fourth most in school history, and the senior has battled with Joseph’s career numbers for possession of the all-time goals against average record this entire season. Bruckler also trails only Joseph in career save percentage.

After carrying the rest of Mike Eaves’ club on his back a year ago down the stretch and into the second round of the NCAA Tournament with a shutout of Ohio State, Bruckler entered this season with high praise, as the preseason WCHA Player of the Year.

A slow start to the season gave way after about a month and Bruckler entered a midseason groove, posting a trio of shutouts during the month of January. From Nov. 11 to Feb. 4, the senior lost just two games. Even in those two losses he made 28 and 37 saves, respectively.

However, as the season entered its final stretch, Bruckler endured his fair share of struggles, culminating with a well-publicized debacle in the first round of the WCHA Playoffs against Alaska Anchorage that resulted in the senior being pulled for the first time in his career. Bruckler’s disappointment came to a head in Saturday’s loss that knocked UW out of the NCAA Tournament.

“We had more success late in the season last year than this year,” Bruckler said. “That kind of obviously must have played in some guys’ minds. There is, again, no doubt in my mind that we had all the tools to get it done.”

Wisconsin as a whole rode the same roller coaster as Bruckler throughout the season, jumping to No. 2 in the USCHO.com poll in November before a late-season goal drought left the Badgers in a dogfight for an NCAA Tournament berth.

“Down the stretch, every mistake counts that much more, every team is that much more geared up and if you don’t take charge down the stretch against dangerous teams like Michigan, they’re going to punish you,” captain Adam Burish said.

Along with Burish and assistant captain Tom Gilbert, Wisconsin returns nearly 100 percent of its scoring from this year (335 of the team’s total 341 points were scored by returning players), a season that saw two Badgers (Joe Pavelski and Robbie Earl) break the 40-point barrier for the first time since the 1999-2000 team which featured Dany Heatley and Steve Reinprecht.

All seven defensemen who saw ice time this season also return for another season, including third team all-WCHA selection Gilbert and freshmen Josh Engel, Davis Drewiske, Joe Piskula and Kyle Klubertanz. Current Green Bay Gambler Garrett Suter, brother of former UW standout Ryan Suter, will join the blue line corps as well.

“They are going to be back in this position again to play for the national championship, at least to have the opportunity again because there’s a lot of talent in that room,” Bruckler said. “Once they gain some experience, we do have a lot of young guys, and it was their first year in college and definitely invaluable experience gained for them. I just wish that I had a little more time left as well because it’s a special group of guys.”