No. 18 men’s squad sneds 2 to national meet

With only two individuals representing the University of Wisconsin, the No.18 men’s swimming team is planning on making an impact at the 2005 NCAA Championships March 24-26 in Minneapolis, Minn.

Seniors Adam Mania and Tim Liebhold were the only two Badgers to qualify for the NCAA Championships. Liebhold and Mania will each swim three events next weekend.

Both athletes will compete in the 200-yard backstroke and 200-yard individual medley. Mania is currently ranked No. 13 in the nation in the 200-yard backstroke and No.12 in the 200-yard individual medley. Liebhold is ranked No. 26 nationally in the 200-yard backstroke and No.16 in the 200-yard individual medley. 2004 Olympic medalist Ryan Lochte of Florida will provide the most competition in both of those events. He currently holds the fastest time in the nation in both events and is also the American and NCAA record holder in both events.

Liebhold’s and Mania’s best opportunity to score major points at the meet will come Friday when they compete in their signature events. Mania will battle 2005 Big Ten Champion Matt Grevers of Northwestern in the 100-yard backstroke. Mania is currently ranked No.8 nationally in that event.

Liebhold will also battle Lochte in the 400-yard individual medley and 2004 Olympian Ous Mellouli of Southern Cal. Liebhold is currently ranked No.7 in the event nationally.

At last month’s Big Ten Championships, Mania captured fifth in the 200-yard backstroke, second in the 100-yard backstroke and sixth in the 200-yard individual medley. Liebhold finished seventh in the 200-yard backstroke, third in the 400-yard individual medley and fourth in the 200-yard individual medley.

This will be the third NCAA Championship meet for Mania and second for Liebhold. Last year at the Championships, Mania finished No.32 in the 200-meter individual medley, No.12 in the 100-meter backstroke and No.12 in the 200-meter backstroke.

Liebhold finished No.34 in the 200-meter individual medley, No.18 in the 400-meter individual medley and No.26 in the 200-meter backstroke, respectively.

No.1 California is this year’s favorite to win the Championships. They will face tough competition from 2004 NCAA champion and 2005 SEC Champion, Auburn and 2005 Pac-10 Champion, Stanford.

Last year, the Badgers finished the Championships No.16 overall with 79.5 total points. Five out of seven of the individuals that competed at last year’s Championships walked away with All-American honors, while the other two ended the season with All-American Honorable Mention honors.