Wisconsin produces balanced attack

[media-credit name=’AJ Maclean’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Nelson_AM_400[/media-credit]Wisconsin put on a shooting drill Wednesday, setting season highs in field-goal percentage (55.2 percent), 3-point shooting (42.9 percent) and free-throw shooting (88.9 percent). The Badgers shot so efficiently that the Panthers had more offensive rebounds (16) than defensive boards (14).

The Badgers presented the epitome of a balanced attack, as all five starters scored in double figures. With scoring coming from all directions, Wisconsin simply overwhelmed the Milwaukee defense, which could not decide which of the Badger scorers to focus on.

“Balance is very difficult to defend,” Milwaukee head coach Sandy Botham said. “You can’t take one person away without getting hurt.”

Freshman phenom Jolene Anderson led the way with 16 points, but half of her scoring came in the last four minutes with the game already comfortably in hand. Wisconsin built its lead with contributions from an array of scorers, ranging from senior point guard Stephanie Rich, who scored 10 points and dished out five assists, to junior forward Annie Nelson, who put up 12 points, eight rebounds and three blocks in her third career start. The balanced attack spread the Panthers thin defensively, keeping them constantly on their heels.

“Every once in a while we’re going to have Jolene (Anderson) with 26 or Janese (Banks) or whoever, but when we have this balanced scoring it’s just harder defensively,” Rich said. “They can’t scout us as easy. They can’t just shut down one player and they’re going to shut down a whole team.”

Lisa Stone’s offense was firing on all cylinders, scoring in the post and on the break. Behind strong performances from Nelson and forward Jordan Wilson (11 points, three blocks), the Badgers outscored the Panthers 48-28 in the paint. Wisconsin was equally proficient in transition, outscoring Milwaukee 14-6 in fast-break points.

Known as a prolific 3-point shooting team, Wisconsin did not attempt a 3 in the second half. Instead, the Badgers pulled away by pounding the ball inside and getting out on the break.

“That’s very rare for us,” Stone said of her team not attempting a 3 in the half. “We have been settling for quick shots. They might be open, but maybe not very good shot selection … [In Wednesday’s game] we were attacking more, and I like that.”

Instead of relying on perimeter jumpers, as they had over their recent four-game losing streak, the Badgers took the ball to the basket. The result was the team’s most efficient offensive performance of the year and more dynamic ball movement that created 20 assists for the team.

“We got to the rim, and that’s where all the assists come from is penetration and kick,” Stone said. “It shows that we don’t have to live and die by that 3-pointer.”

Perhaps the strongest indication of a team that has found success in the transition game, 21 turnovers did not prevent Wisconsin from earning a convincing win. Despite 14 steals, the Panthers were simply unable to overcome the Badgers’ offensive barrage.

Freshman duo emerging: Since the season opener, Wisconsin has featured a pair of freshmen in the starting backcourt. Janese Banks and Jolene Anderson have been major contributors all season, with Anderson leading the team in scoring (15.7 points per game) and Banks averaging a solid 9.6 points and 5.4 rebounds.

“We need the two of them to produce, not only in the open court making shots, but getting on the glass.” Stone said. “Both are doing a very nice job and their aggressiveness is displayed both on offense and on the glass.”

In Wednesday’s victory, the freshman tandem took over. Anderson once again led the way on the score sheet, and Banks turned in an all-around performance with 10 points, eight boards, six assists and two steals.

Banks did it all for the Badgers. The freshman proved so impressive that Coach Stone left her in the game nearly as long as the Badgers’ veteran floor general, Stephanie Rich. Banks logged 34 strong minutes, while Rich turned in 38.

Banks did not light up the scoreboard, but she made an impact on both ends of the floor. Even more promising for the young Wisconsin squad, Banks and Anderson played off each other brilliantly, providing a glimpse of what will likely become the backcourt of the future.

Assistant coach Denise Ianello challenged the freshman duo at halftime and the tandem responded.

“DDI (Ianello) said this was our time to be leaders,” Banks said. “We got to step up, we got to talk on defense, we just got to come out and give the team energy. I think we elevated our game to another level.”