UW adapts to change in officiating

[media-credit name=’Ben Smidt’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]MHockey2_BS_400[/media-credit]With the NCAA instructing referees to follow the rule book more closely by calling the obstruction penalties that have been allowed in recent years, the Wisconsin men’s hockey team is learning to deal with the changes in officiating.

So far, the Badgers have been whistled for 21 penalties for a total of 42 minutes in two games, up from 8.1 penalties and 18.9 minutes per game last season. It was even worse for Mercyhurst, who was penalized 26 times for 52 minutes over the weekend.

“I mean, that Friday night game was all specialty power play,” head coach Mike Eaves said.

Eaves hopes that his 21-day theory will hold water, and that his team will be able to avoid some of the obstruction penalties that they picked up during the opening weekend.

“Well, in the things that I’ve read, it takes 21 days to create a new habit,” Eaves said. “So if it’s true what they say about 21 days and creating a new habit, we’re going to push for that and see if it’s true.”

While Eaves will allow for a transition period, he foresees a time when his players won’t be allowed to get away with foolish penalties.

“I think the [learning] process is going to continue,” Eaves said. “As we get past our first six home games, that’s 21 days, so we’ll see where we’re at and perhaps we’ll hold the guys more accountable. If they’re still doing those penalties, then they perhaps need a little bit further education by missing a shift or two.”

One of the biggest benefits to come out of all the penalties called over the weekend was the work that the Badgers were able to do on their special teams.

“The best practice we could have had was this weekend,” Eaves said. “We took a look at that as a great opportunity to go back and look at the video, show our guys what we did well, and we’ll continue to work on it.”

Badgers blocking shots

One of the things that stood out in Wisconsin’s series sweep of Mercyhurst this past weekend was the number of shots that were blocked before they ever reached the goal. The Badger defenders were able to knock down 37 shots over the weekend, compared to just 24 for the Lakers.

Eaves confirmed that shot-blocking was something his team, as well as most likely every other team in the WCHA, focused on during practice.

“I would wager that in our league [shot-blocking is practiced every day],” Eaves said. “So, I mean, we see it in video, so I’m sure everybody in our league does it.”

Shot-blocking may sound like a simple enough skill, but as Eaves pointed out, it’s not just a matter of throwing a body in front of the puck.

“Well, it starts with, we use the verbiage, ‘You have to line up with the puck on the stick,'” Eaves said. “We use the term ‘get big low.’ You have to get big low, and there’s technique.”

Blocking shots isn’t just about getting into the right position; it’s also a mental attitude about doing whatever it takes to win.

“It does take a little bit of intestinal fortitude,” Eaves said. “If you can get [shots] blocked by the forwards up higher … then those are scoring chances you’re taking away from the other team.”

The other advantage this Badger team has is assistant coach Mark Osiecki, who was one of the best shot-blockers in school history when he played. He brings a level of knowledge to this group that will help them become better shot-blockers throughout the season.

Young defensemen hold their own

One of the things that Eaves noticed after reviewing tape of this weekend’s games was the improvement of the three freshmen defenders who saw ice time. With the young players being one of the keys to Wisconsin’s success, it was important for them to get off to a strong start and gain some confidence.

“Probably the thing that jumps off the page the most after watching the video was I saw the defensemen, our young defensemen, really settle down in the second game, made better reads, made better passes,” Eaves said. “They didn’t seem to be so jumpy with the puck. And that’s a huge factor for us because they are so young.”

While the learning process will be a season-long venture for the young defenders, they have the advantage of a veteran goaltender backing them up in Bernd Brückler. Having the senior assistant captain behind them to clean up mistakes should only make the defenders even more confident.

“Bernd (Brückler) is a little bit more pressured getting out of the net and stopping a puck and moving it, but that saves the defensemen from going back and getting their face put into the glass,” Eaves said. “So having a veteran goalie really does help, for that reason, and for the reason he’s going to cover up some of their mistakes and allow them to have a short-term memory.”

–Ryan Knickmeyer contributed to this story