Goodman emerging as rising star

From the first minute of the first match this season, Wisconsin soccer fans have taken notice of freshman midfielder B.J. Goodman. It’s hard to miss the redheaded Goodman, who from day one has flashed his rare speed and quickness.

“B.J. demonstrated in those first couple preseason games just what he’s capable of in terms of running at people,” head coach Jeff Rohrman said.

Goodman made an immediate impact in 2004, recording an assist for his first collegiate point in a 4-1 win over Dayton, the Badgers first victory of the campaign. Goodman’s play from day one was no surprise to the UW coaching staff.

“Well, he was one of the top players regionally coming in, and I expected him to make an impact right away, as well as I did with a few other of our freshmen,” Rohrman said.

The transition from high school to the college game was something that Goodman worried about before arriving in Madison.

“It’s been awesome,” Goodman said. “I was a little nervous over the summer about what the transition was going to be like, but it hasn’t been that bad.”

Coming out of Detroit Country Day School, Goodman was a highly touted recruit. Last season he led the Yellow Jackets to an undefeated season as Detroit Country Day captured the regional championship. When it came time to decide on a college, Wisconsin’s coaching set it in a class by itself.

“I love Coach Rohrman,” Goodman said. “I saw this team coming forward, like they’re really young.”

On a team that struggled to create consistent offense last season, Goodman and his athleticism have been part of an improved Badger attack.

“He’s an exciting, electrifying player, and he’s very good on the ball; he’s very explosive, very dynamic,” Rohrman said. “If he continues to think and play quickly, he’s going to be very effective.”

At just 150 pounds, Goodman is typically outweighed by a significant amount by bigger and more physical college defenders. The freshman relishes the challenge, however.

“It’s a little difficult; you’ve got to keep your eyes out,” Goodman said. “You’ve got your head spinning at all times because you never know when they’re going to come and just hit you. And a lot of guys are looking to do that too. They tell you the whole game, they’re like, 'I’m just going to break your leg.’ So, you’ve just got to keep your head spinning, but it’s fun actually, because when you beat a bigger guy, you can kind of look out for him, he gets all pissed off. But, I don’t know, it’s kind of fun.”

The biggest criticism of Goodman has been his tendency to take on too many defenders in one-on-one situations, at times relying too much on his dribbling skills.

“When he gets his head down and maybe thinks dribble first as opposed to maybe seeing what options might be on, then he gets himself into a little bit of trouble,” Rohrman said. “But, he’s certainly been a great kid in these first few weeks here, and I’m just excited we’re going to have him for three more years after this.”

While the confident Goodman, who admits he wants to land as many individuals honors as possible in his time at Wisconsin, may resemble English attacking midfielder Paul Scholes in appearance, his soccer idols are a pair of legends — the great Brazilian Pele and former West German star Franz Beckenbauer.

Although the Lake Orion, Mich., native may never attain what his heroes have, he will no doubt achieve success during the next three years in Madison.

“Well, I think for sure he’s a kid that can create things off the dribble and for sure through combinations,” Rohrman said. “But I think he’s a kid that can also score some goals for us too. He’s going to have his fair share of goals and assists over the course of his career.”

Goodman believes big things are in store for Wisconsin’s young team in the near future.

“Next four years, I definitely see a Big Ten championship, and something after that hopefully,” Goodman said. “But I definitely see a Big Ten championship.”