Top recruit out for 2004

Wisconsin women’s basketball recruit Lesha Jones will not play this season due to the lingering effects of an off-season knee surgery. The Detroit, Mich., native had surgery in May to repair a torn ACL, but has not fully recovered.

“The determination was made late last week, in consultation with our medical staff, that Lesha will need to take this year and rehab the knee,” head coach Lisa Stone said. “We look forward to having her back with us full strength next season.”

The 6-foot-3 left-hander was considered one of the top players in Detroit and was one of Stone’s key recruits this season. Jones led Martin Luther King High School to the Class A state title while averaging 23 points, 14 rebounds, nine blocks and eight assists last season. She also led her team to nine straight Public School League titles as a member of the Motor City Crusaders AAU team.

Jones, who was ranked as the No. 56 prospect by the Blue Star Index and No. 73 by the All-Star Girls Report, took part in the 2003 USA Women’s Youth Development Festival. She also participated in the Adidas All-American camp the past two years.

As one of the key pieces to Lisa Stone’s rebuilding efforts, Jones absence will be felt as Wisconsin tries to replace graduated inside players Lello Gebisa and Emily Ashbaugh. With so much talent, Jones was expected to battle for major playing time this season.

“Lesha’s a strong left-handed post player,” Stone said during a press conference announcing her 2004 recruiting class. “She will play the five-position for us. She can run; she can shoot; she can catch. She’s a tremendous athlete and can dominate a lot of games.”

–compiled from staff reports