Young sqaud races forward

[media-credit name=’UW Athletic Communications’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]WomensCross_athinfo_400[/media-credit]Successful. There is no other way to describe the Wisconsin men’s cross country team under the leadership of Coach Jerry Schumacher.

In his short tenure (this being only his sixth season as head coach), his squads have won the last five Big Ten Championships. Their success has not been limited only to conference action though. The Badgers have placed second nationally in 1999, 2002 and 2003 and have never finished lower than sixth under Schumacher’s tutelage.

Wisconsin looks to continue their successful ways in the upcoming season. With their top five runners from the national meet returning this year, plus a few strong additions, the Badgers should again be one of the top teams in the nation in 2004.

The Badgers are headed into the 2004 season with two 2003 All-Americans: Simon Bairu and Chris Solinsky.

Bairu is the Badgers leading returner, having placed ninth at the national meet. The junior was also named the 2003 Big Ten Athlete of the Year after finishing the Big Ten championship meet in first place.

Joining Bairu is the sophomore Solinsky. Solinsky garnered Big Ten Freshman of the Year honors last year and was the second finisher for the Badgers at the national meet finishing in 15th place. Sophomore Tim Nelson, a 2001 All-American, senior Josh Spiker, a 2002 All-American and junior Bobby Lockhart rounded out the top five for the Badgers. The trio finished in 61st, 65th, and 68th respectively.

Wisconsin also adds Matt Tegenkamp back to the mix this year after he missed most of the last season with injuries. A two-time cross country All-American and the Big Ten Athlete of the Year for 2002, the senior Tegenkamp did return to compete in the spring track season.

Tegenkamp is not the only addition to this year’s squad however.

The Badgers bring in an outstanding freshman class to add to the bevy of talent they already display. Matt Withrow of Tinley Park, Ill. headlines the class as the 2003 Foot Locker Cross Country Champion. He follows Solinsky as the second consecutive recipient of that honor to attend Wisconsin. Incoming freshmen Christian Wegner and Stuart Eagon finished seventh and eighth respectively in that same contest.

Wisconsin-native Brian Culver rounds out the freshman class.

Wisconsin kicks off its season Friday night against Iowa. The Hawkeyes will also host the Big Ten championships later this year, so the first meet will give the Badgers a chance to get a feel for the course. The Badgers then have two more chances to prepare for the Big Ten meet with the Roy Griak Invitational in Minneapolis, Minn. and the Jim Drews Invitational in La Crosse, Wis.

In Iowa, the team will aim to repeat as regional champions and head into the NCAA championships on a strong note. The Badger runners then hope to head to Terre Haute, Ind. where they look to make another run at that elusive national championship.