UNLV’s Brimmer looks to cause havoc once more

[media-credit name=’Associated Press’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]UNLV_AP_400[/media-credit]When most people think of Las Vegas, they think of casinos, clubs and beautiful women. All-American strong safeties don’t usually come to mind, but UNLV’s Jamaal Brimmer is so money he doesn’t even know it.

Despite a solid sophomore season in which he started every game for the Rebels, the six-foot-one, 215-pound hometown star was relatively unknown outside of Las Vegas. All that changed last year when the Rebels traveled to Madison to take on the then No. 14-ranked Badgers.

Brimmer was the true definition of a playmaker, turning in one of the best performances a defensive player has ever had against the Badgers. He recorded 11 tackles, two sacks, two interceptions, a forced fumble, and a 55-yard touchdown off a fumble recovery.

He seemed to be everywhere the whole game.

UNLV went on to win 23-5 and the Football Writers Association of America named Brimmer the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week.

He continued to pile up stats all season long — leading his conference with six interceptions, becoming a first team All-American safety and the Mountain West Conference’s Defensive Player of the Year for the second straight season.

For some student athletes playing in a city like Las Vegas, where you don’t have to search to find any vice, the experience would be a disaster. But Brimmer, born and raised in the sin city, decided to attend UNLV. The Rebel safety has learned to stay away from all the distractions Las Vegas has to offer.

“It’s a 24-hour town, always a lot of people around partying,” Brimmer said. “It can be a distraction but I’m used to it.”

Despite being an outstanding quarterback and kicker, Brimmer decided to stick to defense where he could punish opposing players with his hits.

“I had the opportunity to play right away and my parents could watch me play all my games,” Brimmer said.

This year, the playmaking safety comes into Madison as a Preseason First Team All-American as well as a candidate for the Jim Thorpe Award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy.

According to Brimmer, he is looking forward to coming back to Camp Randall and making an impact.

“What ever happens happens. Anything I can do. If the ball is on the ground, hopefully I can pick it up and go with it,” Brimmer said.

While Brimmer is the star on UNLV, he focuses on the team first, caring more about winning the conference than any individual awards. He believes UNLV’s first two games against top conference schools will help the team down the road.

“I am excited for [this] exposure for our team,” Brimmer said. “Playing at Tennessee last week and in Madison this week is a great experience for the team. Hopefully we can be successful again.”

UNLV head coach John Robinson has offered high praise to the senior safety.

“Jamaal Brimmer is one of the elite defensive players in the country,” Robinson said. “He was an All-American last year and we have every expectation that he will improve again this year. He is one of the most instinctive players I have been around. Jamaal reminds me a lot of Ronnie Lott in terms of instincts and ability to attack.”