Davis improving after eye injury

DavisAnthony_DM_400Wisconsin tailback Anthony Davis’s status for the Badgers’ upcoming game against UNLV remains unknown, but head coach Barry Alvarez reported Monday that the eye injury is improving.

Late in the first half of Saturday’s 34-6 win over Central Florida, Davis broke a 21-yard run before being hit out of bounds. Contact between Davis’s helmet and the turf forced the mask to rub against his eye. Davis did not return in the game as a precautionary measure.

Initially, it was believed that the pellets in Camp Randall’s artificial turf were the source of the optical irritation. Davis has not been able to see an eye specialist yet and continues to have blurred vision when he looks down, Alvarez said.

Scouting UNLV: In last season’s embarrassing loss to UNLV, the Badgers managed to score just five points. The Badgers scored a safety following a blocked punt and one field goal. The final score was 23-5.

“Our guys respect [UNLV] and know they will have to play well,” Alvarez said.

Alvarez commented on two specific Rebels for whom he’ll be preparing his players: running back Dominique Dorsey and senior safety Jamaal Brimmer.

UNLV lost to No. 14 Tennessee 42-17 Saturday, despite 121 yards in 18 carries for Dorsey.

“He was the fastest guy on the field,” Alvarez said.

Last year the Badgers were intercepted by the Rebels twice and fumbled four times. The players and the coaching staff realize they cannot let a similar performance occur this season.

“We can’t be turning the ball over like that if we expect to win,” wide receiver Jonathan Orr said.

While the coaching staff has downplayed the impact of last season’s loss, Stocco commented on the budding rivalry between Wisconsin and UNLV.

“I think it is a revenge game,” Stocco said. “That game left a sour taste in everyone’s mouth.”

Choosing a punter: The punting battle between senior R.J. Morse and freshman Ken DeBauche will continue, Alvarez said. Morse compiled a 40.7-yard average last season. Debauche averaged 39.3 yards per punt against the Golden Knights, including one that the Badgers downed at the six.

“We will continue the competition,” Alvarez said. “You’re not going to be appointed the punter because you won it in the offseason.”

Tables turned on Hawthorne: An All-Big Ten defensive tackle, Anttaj Hawthorne is used to dishing out bruising tackles against the run. After intercepting a Central Florida pass in Saturday’s victory, however, Hawthorne found himself on the receiving end of one such tackle.

Ironically, the tackler was none other than 225-pound running back Alex Haynes, who fought through a stiff-arm from Hawthorne and brought down the 312-pound lineman after a 15-yard return.

UW defensive tackle Jason Jefferson commented on Hawthorne’s unsuccessful interception return.

“I gave him a lot of [grief],” Jefferson said. “He looked like he was in slow motion. We all talk about getting a pick and getting into the end-zone, and he got it but got tackled by the running back.”