Bringing the Camp up to code

Much of the current campus buzz surrounding the renovations to Camp Randall revolves around the new scoreboard installed above the stands at the north end zone. The 50-by-170 foot leviathan sports two screens each 26-by-49 feet, an amber monochrome display (more like a traditional scoreboard) and a full-color video display.

Two smaller video screens also adorn the south end of the stadium — one hanging from the new athletic department offices and another located in the lower west grandstand. The university contracted venue display supplier Daktronics to replace the south scoreboard, installed in 1992.

Just in time for the implementation of instant replay in the Big Ten, the $5 million system affords fans the ability to review plays along with officials and subsequently add input after the call is made. Installed at a cost of nearly $1.5 million, the new sound system is currently undergoing tests as game-day operations prepare for the opener.

“The scoreboard is going to be one of the things, along with the sound system, that’s really going to affect the game-day atmosphere,” Associate Athletic Director Doug Beard said.

Although the lack of diversity in the seating quality of old Camp Randall offered something refreshingly egalitarian, it’s difficult to ignore the demands of the fans forever. Fresh for 2004 are various suite and club seats sections located above the east grandstand.

Planners boast of elevator access, television screens and a host of other conveniences for the 885 club seats and 72 skyboxes.

Rather than a standard lease, the athletic department requires a charitable contribution of $1,500 to $5,000 to acquire club seats, which comes 80 percent tax deductible. Businesses or individuals can receive a discount in their annual contribution by purchasing more seats or forging a long-term commitment. Skybox leases will run $49,000 in the first year with a 2.5 percent annual increase.

The suites come loaded with everything from refrigerators to a wet bar. Though entirely self-enclosed, the skyboxes sport retractable windows to selectively manage exposure to the game-day experience.

Since the old structure was not built to accommodate such a large expansion, Berners-Schober architects designed the additions independent of the 1917 structure. In order to safely blend all of the new features with the character of the old façade, designers set out to create the illusion of uniformity.

According to Chief Architect Bill Doyle, great effort was taken to make the final product look as seamless as possible.

“We’re trying to do it in a very raw and rugged manner,” Doyle said. “That’s the way we envisioned what was here before. We wanted something that would have a certain substance to it, that would balance [with the older structure].”

It’ll be baptism by fire as Wisconsin invites Central Florida, along with likely a capacity crowd, on Sept. 4 to the new and improved facilities. Everyone involved in the project remains confident Badger fans can quickly adapt to the many changes.