Tegenkamp chases record after record

To say the 2004 track season has been a record-setting year for UW standout Matt Tegenkamp would be an understatement.

The Big Ten recently awarded him athlete of the week honors after his performance in the 5,000-meter run at Mt. Sac Relays, in which he shattered the 20-year-old UW record of 13:37.2 with his own mark of 13:30.90.

“(Breaking the record) was actually a huge relief,” Tegenkamp said. “It’s been something I think I could’ve done for probably about two years now, but injuries have sort of plagued me for those two years, so it’s finally something that’s been done and I can worry about bigger and better things now.”

The 5,000-meter record was the third mark Tegenkamp set in the 2004 track season. During the indoor season, he set new UW school records in the 3,000 and 5,000-meter runs with times of 7:55.14 and 13:44.06, respectively.

While he is proud of the records he has broken this season, Tegenkamp has tremendous respect for the Badger track athletes who came before him.

“There’s obviously been a bunch of really good runners who have gone through UW, so I’m just really happy with the way the season’s going and I hope things keep going the way they are,” Tegenkamp said.

Tegenkamp believes very strongly in the school’s long tradition of track and field success. From a second-place finish in cross country this past fall to four-straight Big Ten indoor track titles, Tegenkamp has achieved tremendous success while lacing up the cardinal and white spikes.

“We have a very rich history here of posting triple crowns, which means winning all three cross, indoor, and outdoor Big Tens, and if we are able to pull that off this year, that’d be pretty good because Minnesota is obviously a really good team, too,” Tegenkamp said.

As a co-captain, Tegenkamp considers passing down the program’s strong tradition as one of his duties as a team leader.

“I think (my responsibility is) just keeping the guys focused, and, I mean, it doesn’t have to be like a very vocal leader,” Tegenkamp said. “You don’t have to be in peoples’ faces like every day or anything like that — it’s just lead by example, keep people focused when they’re training, and help the younger guys realize the tradition that’s gone through this program and keep that tradition going.”

Tegenkamp credits many of his track achievements to his success during the cross country season.

“I think for cross country season you develop a base because track season is so long,” Tegenkamp said. “During cross country season, you put in a lot of miles and that helps you carry your strength through the rest of the track season because track season goes from January all the way to July, so that helps you carry a lot of strength through.”

In fact, Tegenkamp finds it difficult to decide which season he prefers.

“I do not have a favorite,” Tegenkamp said. “Obviously indoor and outdoor track are similar, but I kind of run those two together. But distinguishing between track and cross country — it’s just two totally different seasons, so when I’m in cross country season, I’m totally focused on that and when I’m in track, I’m totally focused on track.”

While finishing off the 2004 season with quality finishes in the 15,000-meter and 5,000-meter runs at both the Big Ten Outdoor Championships and NCAA Nationals is a priority for Tegenkamp, qualifying for this year’s Olympics in the 5,000-meter run is also on his mind.

In order to meet Olympic requirements, Tegenkamp must run faster than a 13:21.6 in the 5K and finish in the top three at the Olympic trials. Though making the Olympic squad is a daunting task, Tegenkamp considers this year one of his best opportunities to qualify.

“I didn’t think that I would be able to make a run at it this year,” Tegenkamp said. “I thought 2008 would probably be the first year I’d be able to make a run at it, but things are going so well right now that we’re going to really make a run at it, and I think I can get it and make the Olympic team for the U.S.”

In spite of his Olympic aspirations, Tegenkamp’s only goal for next year is to finish with a national title in his senior season.

“When I first came in as a freshman, the whole point of me coming here was to win a national title, and we’re setting up to do that,” Tegenkamp said. “We’re set up to do that next year and that’s my only goal for next season, so I think it’d almost be a disappointment if we don’t win it next year.”