Michigan softball sweeps Wisconsin

The No. 8-ranked Michigan Wolverines completed a doubleheader sweep of Wisconsin with a 5-0 win in softball action Sunday afternoon at Alumni Field.

Michigan had previously won the first game of the twinbill 3-1. With the sweep, the Wolverines improve to 44-7 overall and remain alone in first place in the Big Ten at 15-1, while UW falls to 26-23 overall and 5-9.

Two Badger errors in the top of the first inning helped the Wolverines score three unearned runs on UW starter Eden Brock. Similar to the first game of the twinbill, Michigan scored all the runs with two outs. The Wolverines had runners at first and second with two down when Monica Schock lined a single to right, scoring Tiffany Haas.

UW catcher Boo Gillette attempted to cut down Nicole Motycka at third base on the play, but her throw went into left field, allowing Motycka to score. With Schock on second, Grace Leutele followed with an RBI single to put Michigan up 3-0.

The Wolverines than added another run to their lead in the top of the second. Courtney Betley led off the frame with a double, advanced to third on a sacrifice and scored on a sacrifice fly by Haas to make it 4-0.

Haas continued her impressive day at the plate in the fourth inning by hitting her first home run of the season to extend Michigan’s lead to 5-0.

That was more than enough for Motycka, who carried a one-hitter into the seventh inning. Kris Zacher and Diana Consolmagno touched Motycka for a pair of singles in the seventh, but the Wolverines were able to preserve their 11th shutout in 14 home games this season.

Brock suffered the loss for the Badgers, dropping her season record to 10-10. In two innings of work, she allowed four hits and four runs — only one of which was earned — and struck out one. Sara Gonzales and Megan Smith combined to allow just one run over a combined five innings of relief.

Motycka struck out four and walked one in earning the complete-game win to move to 17-3.

The Badgers return to action at 4 p.m. Wednesday when the team travels to Chicago to take on Loyola.

compiled from staff reports