More recognition for Harris

Devin Harris just missed adding another award to his trophy case. The Wisconsin point guard finished second in voting for the first-ever Bob Cousy Collegiate Point Guard of the Year award, behind Jameer Nelson of St. Joseph’s.

A 23-person selection committee gave 20 first-place votes to Nelson, with Harris picking up one first-place vote. He finished with 65 total points, while Nelson racked up 102. The third-place finisher was Stanford’s Chris Hernandez, who accumulated 32 points.

Harris did bring home one award this week, as he was honored with the Chicago Tribune Silver Basketball. The award is given to the Big Ten MVP, voted on by the conference’s coaches. In the award’s 59-year history, only two other Badgers have been recipients: Glen Selbo in 1947 and Don Rehfeldt in 1950.

The Big Ten Player of the Year, Harris averaged 19.5 points and 4.4 assists per game in 2003-04. He was a unanimous first-team All-Big Ten selection, as well as Big Ten Tournament Most Outstanding Player, a John R. Wooden Award finalist and a second-team All-American by the Associate Press, NABC, USBWA, ESPN.com, SI.com, FoxSports.com and The Sporting News.

— compiled from staff reports