Burke, Wisconsin top Purdue

The Wisconsin women’s tennis team garnered its first conference win of the season over the No. 52-ranked Purdue Boilermakers in West Lafayette Sunday.

The 4-3 win elevated the Badgers to 8-9 overall and 1-3 in the Big Ten. The Boilermakers dropped to 7-9 and 2-3 in the Big Ten.

The newly paired power duo of Caitlin Burke and Teresa Gonzaga were the first off the courts with a commanding 8-2 win over Shawna Zuccarini and Hala Sufi at the two slot. Wisconsin’s first pair, Lindsay Martin and Katie McGaffigan, secured the first point of the day by taking their match 8-5 over Gretchen Haynor and Melissa Woods.

In singles, Burke continued to impress in just her third collegiate match. The newcomer sent Woods packing at the six in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4, and remains undefeated this season in singles and doubles. With the match tied at three points apiece, senior Shana McElroy finished off Haynor, 7-6, 6-1, at the two to clinch the victory for Wisconsin.

The Badgers return home for a four-match home stand over the next two weeks. Up first are Iowa and Minnesota, Saturday and Sunday, respectively. The first serve for both matches is set for 11 a.m.

compiled from staff reports