Mixed Results in Miami for Tennis teams

The Wisconsin Badgers men’s and women’s tennis teams traveled to sunny Miami, Florida over Spring Break to continue their respective seasons.

The two teams, however, found different results in the Sunshine State. The women’s team overcame the surprise of playing against a team they hadn’t scheduled to win their only duel of the break. Meanwhile, the men’s team struggled to a 1-2 record over the break.

The women’s team took on Miami (Ohio) in Miami and defeated the RedHawks 5-2. The Badgers had been scheduled to play Florida International University in Miami, but the match was cancelled earlier in the week.

In impressive fashion, No. 71 Wisconsin improved their record to 7-7. The Badgers took all three doubles sets, led by number one doubles team Katie McGaffigan and Lindsey Martin, who improved their record to 8-6 on the year.

The Badgers carried their momentum through the singles matches, taking four of six. McGaffigan again led the way for the Badgers, defending her No. 63 national ranking by winning in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1. Senior Shana McElroy also won in straight sets, taking her match 6-4, 6-3.

On the men’s side though, Wisconsin had a rough week. After dropping their first two matches to Florida Atlantic 4-3 and No. 31 University of Miami 6-1, the Badgers dominated Georgia Southern, winning 6-1 to salvage a disappointing week.

Individually, Alex Conti and Scott Green both enjoyed a successful Spring Break, as their doubles team went 2-1 and each went 2-1 in singles matches during the week.

Conti was particularly impressive, winning his first two singles matches of the season after opening the year with a 0-8 record. Conti’s lone losses came against the University of Miami, where the Hurricanes defeated every Badger opponent except Green, who won his singles match in straight sets.

The Badgers No. 1 doubles team of Alex Kasarov and David Hippee, ranked No. 40 in the nation, won 2 of their three sets, with their only loss coming against Miami. The duo, who also hold the top two spots in singles, had less success in their singles matches, as Kasarov went 1-2 and Hippee was winless over break.

The men’s and women’s teams both continue their seasons Saturday, March 27 against Big Ten foe Indiana. The women face the No. 23 Indiana Hoosiers (8-5) in Madison at the Nielson Tennis Stadium for the women’s first conference game of the season. The men in turn, travel to Bloomington to take on the 6-7 Hoosiers.