Badger softball finishes 2-3 in Sacramento tournament

The UW softball team (15-12) earned a 6-3 victory over St. Mary’s (7-21) Sunday on the final day of the Capital Classic in Sacramento, Ca., to finish 2-3 in the five-game tournament.

After St. Mary’s jumped out to a 1-0 lead on an opposite field blast from Claudia Williams, the Badgers battled back with a sacrifice fly from Kris Zacher and a solo shot by Boo Gillette.

The Gaels evened the score at 2-2 before the Badgers regained the lead at 3-2 on an Emily Friedman RBI double. With an RBI knock from Jordann Bass in the top of the sixth inning, St. Mary’s again evened the score, but the Badgers plated three runs in the bottom of the sixth to take the win. In a remarkable rally, Wisconsin recorded just one base hit in the game-winning push.

With the victory, UW hurler Katie Layne improved her record to 8-5 on the year. Zacher, who notched a pair of hits in the win over St. Mary’s, took home all-tournament team honors.

Prior to the St. Mary’s game, the Badgers fell 3-0 to host Sacramento State on the second day of tournament action. After stranding seven baserunners in the opening three innings, UW was unable to mount a significant threat in the remainder of the game.

Hornet starter Brianne Ferguson worked her way out of early jams and bested UW ace Layne, who surrendered three earned runs in five innings after retiring the first eight Sacramento State batters in order.

After opening the tournament with a pair of losses against Nevada 8-5 and Long Beach State 5-4, the Badgers grabbed their first win of the tourney against Tennessee State in a 10-1 blowout. UW hurler Eden Brock tossed a three-hitter as the game lasted just five innings before the mercy rule went into effect.

The Badgers return to action Saturday and Sunday when they travel to Iowa City to take on Ball State and host Iowa in the Hawkeye Classic.