University stresses personal safety

By

The Madison area has recently experienced an increase in crime, including attempted assaults, multiple sexual assaults, and a man claiming to be a doctor in the Eagle Heights neighborhood offering medical examinations to women.

Although a higher number of incidents have recently been reported throughout Madison, nothing out of the ordinary is taking place, but students should nonetheless stay aware, UW spokesman John Lucas said.

“Housing and [UW] are just trying to get out the word,” Lucas said.

He added that University Housing’s security measures are not drastically different than in the past and the campus is a safe place overall.

“We just want residents to keep an eye out,” he said.

Sgt. Edie Brogan of the UW Police Department said she believes cooperation with police and residents helps in personal safety.

“Campus safety is a partnership, and we all play an important role,” Brogan said. “Students are a huge part of the solution.”

UW released several tips to remind students of how to keep safe, many of which involve familiar ideas such as locking room doors while at home. Additionally, residents are reminded never to prop open entry doors of a residence hall.

The high-rise residence halls have automatic door-locking systems and monitoring devices that alert housing staff if a door is partly open.

The police department also advocated keeping an eye out for suspicious-looking people. The release emphasized that if a resident feels uncomfortable confronting suspicious people, he should notify residence-hall staff.

UW Housing Director Paul Evans assured residents that housefellows are doing their best to keep the dorms safe.

University Housing is planning to install security cameras in the Southeast dorms. Chadbourne Hall currently has its cameras up and running, and Ogg, Sellery and Witte’s cameras will be operational later this spring.

Residents affected by individual incidents are urged to contact the Counseling & Consultation Service located in each hall.