Wisconsin grapplers split over weekend

The No. 12 Wisconsin wrestling team enjoyed mixed success over the weekend, beating Purdue Friday only to fall to Illinois Sunday.

UW dropped its second Big Ten dual meet of the season as the Badgers fell to No. 3 Illinois, 30-9, Sunday afternoon at UI’s Huff Hall. Wisconsin’s record dropped to 16-4 overall (3-2 Big Ten), while Illinois improved to 11-1 overall and 5-1 in the Big Ten.

The dual meet started off with the 184-pound match pitting junior tri-captain Brady Reinke against fourth-ranked Brian Glynn.

Illinois’ Glynn picked up the win over Reinke by virtue of a 7-5 decision, giving the Illini an early 3-0 lead.

Up next for the Badgers was sophomore Ryan Flaherty. Flaherty defeated eighth-ranked Illinois senior Jason Potter 10-9 in triple overtime. Flaherty eventually won the match by scoring a late escape in the extra session.

At 125 pounds, sophomore Tom Clum continued his recent hot streak by knocking off No. 3 Kyle Ott, 9-7, in overtime. Clum scored a takedown in the overtime to secure the victory. In the past two weeks, Clum has defeated the third-, eighth- and 11th- ranked wrestlers in the nation, earning him a 5-0 Big Ten dual record.

However, the Badgers struggled after that, losing five out of the last six matches to the Fighting Illini. At 133, 149 and 174, respectively, Badger wrestlers Ed Gutnik, Tony Turner and Chad Steldt all lost major decisions.

Tyler Laudon was one of the few late bright spots for the Badgers. He posted his second-straight Big Ten victory by defeating Illinois’ Michael Martin, 5-4. Laudon won by scoring two escapes, a takedown and picked up a point from riding time.

Wisconsin took care of No. 18 Purdue Friday for the third time this season by a tally of 28-6. The loss dropped Purdue to 16-5 overall and 2-3 in the Big Ten.

With the dual opening at 184 pounds, Wisconsin jumped out to an early lead, taking the first two matches from Purdue. Junior tri-captain Brady Reinke defeated 15th-ranked Ben Wissel in a 6-1 decision victory. Reinke accumulated his points by earning a pair of takedowns. Up next for the Badgers was sophomore Ryan Flaherty. Flaherty won an overtime decision against Purdue’s Nathan Moore by scoring a late takedown in the extra period.

At 125, eighth-ranked Tom Clum continued his winning ways against Sean Schmaltz, earning a 19-3 technical fall victory. With the victory, Clum stayed undefeated in Big Ten dual action at 4-0. The Badgers won the next two matches at 133 and 141 as Ed Gutnik and Tyler Laudon both won decision victories.

After falling at 149, the Badgers secured the win by taking the last three matches from the Boilermakers. Redshirt freshman Tyler Turner earned an overtime victory against Brad Harper, 3-1, scoring the match’s final three points. At 165 pounds, Ryan’s twin brother Kelly Flaherty earned his team-leading seventh technical fall victory at the expense of Purdue’s Bryce Markley 22-4.

In the meet’s most-anticipated match-up, Badger tri-captain Ralph DeNisco defeated fourth-ranked Ryan Lange by a narrow 5-1 decision victory. DeNisco won the match by scoring on an escape, a takedown and earning two near-fall points in the third period.

The Badgers will look to rebound from their loss to Illinois as they return home to the UW Field House Friday, Feb. 13, at 7 p.m. to take on Big Ten foe Iowa.

-compiled from staff reports