Detmer running to new heights

With the blazing mid-distance speed that sophomore Badger track star Joe Detmer possesses, it would seem unnatural for him to pursue a career in the heptathlon — an event that requires one to participate in seven events: the 60-meter dash, 60-meter hurdles, 1000-meter run, long jump, high jump, pole vault, and shot put.

Considering that Detmer primarily ran middle-distance events last season, the heptathlon will be something new to him.

However, he is more than up to the challenge.

In fact, Detmer walked onto the Badgers’ track team in hopes of someday competing in just this event, so this is something he has actually always desired.

“[The heptathlon] is what I’ve always wanted to do, and I guess that’s why I was recruited initially, because I was going to become a decathlete. And then I just started running instead,” Detmer said. “I had always wanted to do [the heptathlon], and I just never got the chance, really.”

This past weekend, Detmer competed in his first-ever heptathlon and, while he was only concerned with achieving the NCAA provisional qualifying mark in the event, he had a great outing and finished in fifth place at the Northern Iowa Invitational.

“I didn’t really take note of the place that I took; I just wanted to get the best score that I could,” Detmer admitted. “I didn’t really care that I took fifth. I could’ve taken first or last [with] the 5,300 points that I scored — that was all I wanted.”

Despite the notable finish in his heptathlon debut, Detmer is not content with his current capability in all seven events. While shot put is obviously an aspect of the heptathlon that a middle-distance runner would need to work on, Detmer believes he has space to improve upon in every facet of the event.

“I can improve on anything,” he said. “That’s why I was happy to score like I did, because I felt like I could improve on the whole score in general.”

However, the heptathlon is not the only thing on Detmer’s mind. Last season, he ran the 400-meter, 600-meter, 800-meter, and 4 x 400-meter relay in order to help his team succeed. This season, he again plans on running wherever his team needs him, whether it is in heptathlon or elsewhere.

“I plan on just running and, if I get the chance, I’ll do another heptathlon,” Detmer said. “I feel like I can run really well in the 600, but I feel I can (also) do well in the hepts. I just need another chance, more or less.”

Detmer has high goals set for this season. After a stellar freshman campaign in which he was named to the second-team All-Big Ten team and participated in the Badgers’ Big Ten indoor victory, Detmer still hopes to improve this year.

“When we beat Minnesota in indoor Big Tens by two points in a great comeback victory,” Detmer explained, “that was the most amazing feeling ever and [being named to the second-team] was really satisfying, seeing as I came in without knowing what I would be able to do that season.”

Simply put, Detmer just wants to compete well once again in his sophomore season.

“To make it to nationals would be great, and I want to do really well at Big Tens,” he stated.

When he returns to his middle-distance events, there will be several tough challenges ahead of him. The Big Ten is full of talent, and the No. 17 Wisconsin Badgers will face tough competition from No. 5 Minnesota and No. 14 Indiana.

“Trying to run against the outdoor national 400 champion (junior Adam Steele of Minnesota) in the 600 will be really tough,” Detmer said.

All things considered, Detmer can only be labeled as a track athlete and not as an individual in any particular event. He is willing to do whatever it takes to help his team win, even through the aches and pains of the track season.

“It’s pretty strenuous. Every other day you more or less kill yourself to try to make yourself better, and you need a little bit (of time) to recover, but I always try to push myself so I get better and better for the season.”