Freshmen struggle to produce

When the Wisconsin men’s ice hockey team was running over every team in its path earlier this season, streaking its way into the top five in USCHO polls, much of the credit for the program’s surprising return to national prestige went to the impressive freshman class brought in by head coach Mike Eaves.

Freshman forwards Robbie Earl, Jake Dowell and Andrew Joudrey seemed to be in a three-way race to see who would lead the WCHA in scoring among first-year players, while Ryan Suter and Jeff Likens provided the Badgers with perhaps the most stifling young backline in the country.

With the Badgers’ fortunes recently waning, much of the blame for UW’s struggles is falling squarely on the same young players who were lauded so loudly just a few weeks ago.

Eaves said that the declining production he is receiving from his first-year players is troublesome, but that it is something he believes his team will be able to work through.

“They’re in a bit of a slump,” Eaves said at a press conference Monday. “It’s a lull. But I’d rather have that lull now than later on when we’re getting ready for the playoffs or are in the playoffs. You have to kind of take a look at the big picture.”

Joudrey and Dowell have had the most notable dropoffs. Joudrey started the season on a tear, putting up 12 points in his first 13 college games. Since then he has struggled, only scoring five points in the past 15 games.

Joudrey’s recent scoring drought has been unfortunate for a team that already has more than its share of offensive question marks, but Eaves says that the freshman’s statistics haven’t necessarily reflected his play.

“Andrew had a couple great chances at the end of the game [against Colorado College],” Eaves said. “He’s still getting his opportunities, and he’s got a great work ethic.”

Eaves believes that Joudrey’s numbers will eventually catch up with his solid on-ice performance.

Dowell’s decline has Eaves a bit more concerned. The forward has not scored a point and has slowed noticeably on the ice since returning from the Junior World Championships in Finland earlier this month. Eaves said that Dowell’s limited playing time at the Junior World’s may have played a part in his on-ice difficulties.

“Part of the problem with Jake is that he might have lost a little bit of conditioning in Europe,” Eaves said. “He didn’t get the same minutes over there.”

Dowell’s struggles have been most noticeable on the Badger penalty kill, a unit that he helped turn around this year after it hovered at the bottom of the WCHA in effectiveness last season.

In the past six games Wisconsin has allowed 10 goals while down a man. Discounting an empty-net goal against Notre Dame, the Badgers have only allowed four scores while at even strength. Eaves’ squad has struggled to make up for its besieged penalty kill, going 2-3-1 during that stretch.

Against CC last weekend, Eaves admitted he had taken issue with some of the calls the referees made, but he emphasized that it was important for his players to focus on what they can control: shoring up their own play and not taking bad penalties.

“What’s happened is that our penalties have increased,” Eaves explained. “We can disagree with what the referee is calling, but a number of those calls are our own fault.”

The Ice Badgers will need their freshmen to be at their best in the next three weekends as they take on Minnesota, North Dakota and St. Cloud State — ranked fifth, first and ninth in the nation respectively.