Badgers split with Tigers in Colorado Springs

The Wisconsin men’s ice hockey team earned a split with No. 14 Colorado College in Colorado Springs over the weekend. The series moved the Ice Badgers (15-7-6, 9-4-5 WCHA) into a tie for third place in the WCHA.

Wisconsin took advantage of a sub-par performance from freshman Tiger goaltender Matt Zaba Friday night, winning despite being heftily outshot. The victory was the Badgers’ 100th over the Tigers and ended a nine game winless streak in the series.

After the first 10 minutes of the contest, it looked like the Badgers would continue looking for a win. The first half of the first period belonged to the hosts, as the Tigers jumped out to a 9-1 shot advantage before the nine-minute mark. CC failed to convert a pair of early chances, but broke through on its second power-play to gain a 1-0 lead. Middleton, Wisconsin native Brady Greco cut in from the point, took a pass and beat UW net-minder Bernd Brückler high to the glove side at 7:54.

UW scored the equalizer early in the second period on a delayed penalty call. With Brückler pulled for an extra skater, freshman Ross Carlson skated into the offensive zone and one-timed a pass from Rene Bourque. Carlson’s shot deflected off the glass behind the goal and out front to senior captain Dan Boeser. Boeser knocked it in for his sixth goal of the season.

Brückler helped the Badgers kill six CC power plays with 24 saves in the first two frames. The biggest save came in the second period just past the seven-minute mark. CC’s Brett Sterling got behind the UW defense for a break away, but Brückler was there and made a huge stop to keep the game tied.

Outshot 25-11 through two periods, the Badgers relied on Brückler to keep the game close until, just into the third period, Carlson gave them the lead. On the power play, Carlson took a pass from Tom Gilbert along the goal line and beat Zaba from a nearly impossible angle on the short side. The goal was Carlson’s third of the season.

After the Tigers responded with their second power play goal of the night, A.J. Degenhardt gave Wisconsin the lead for good with just under five minutes remaining in regulation. Linemate Adam Burish forced a turnover and slid the puck to Degenhardt on a two-on-one. The sophomore wound and slapped a shot over Zaba’s glove for his fifth goal of the season.

Bourque iced the contest with an empty-net score at 19:11, again with help from Burish.

Switching from Zaba to junior Curtis McElhinney in net paid off for the Tigers Saturday night. McElhinney stopped 30 of 31 Badgers shots, leading his team to a 3-1 victory and ending a seven-game WCHA losing streak for CC.

UW took an early lead on a power play goal from Robbie Earl. Carlson, who had something of a breakout weekend, found Earl hiding between defenders down low and pushed the puck up to him; Earl slapped it in off of McElhinney’s pads.

Near the eight-minute mark in the second period a Tiger shot got lost in the crease and the puck found its way onto Scott Thauwald’s stick in front of an empty net. Thauwald slammed it in before Bruckler could get into position, tying the game at one.

Play continued evenly until the Badgers, who continue their struggles on special teams got a flurry of costly penalties late in the third period. Sertich put away his second goal of the game, giving CC a 2-1 lead with 5:38 left. After only 44 seconds had ticked off the clock, UW suffered another penalty, and this time it was CC’s Brett Sterling who took advantage with a power play goal.

Brückler notched 31 saves in the game, but was bested by McElhinney, who stopped 30 of the 31 UW shots. Wisconsin continues its road schedule when it travels to intense Mariucci Arena to challenge the Minnesota Golden Gophers next weekend.

-compiled from staff reports