One last trip to the Camp

Wisconsin is on a rollercoaster ride heading into this weekend’s game against Iowa as the Badgers’ seniors prepare to suit up for their last Saturday at Camp Randall Stadium.

After what appeared to be somewhat of a senior slide during its three-game losing streak, UW bounced back just in time to conclude this year’s Senior Day appropriately.

For many, it will be one of the last times to see Ryan Aiello, Byron Brown, Scott Campbell, Jason Clemens, Nick Cochart, Lee Evans, Matt Gajda, Alex Lewis, Jeff Mack, Kyle McCorison, Fred Nieforth, and Jim Sorgi slip on the cardinal and white over the shoulder pads.

With their collegiate careers quickly coming to an end, the Badger class of 2003 realizes the importance of finishing their Wisconsin epoch on a high note. While Senior Day will bring a range of emotions for the graduates, senior captains Lee Evans and Jim Sorgi still recognize the importance of the game at hand.

“I think you kind of have to enjoy the moment,” Evans said. “It’s a time to reflect and think about a lot of things, but you still have a game to play. Senior Day is always emotional. (In) years past, I’ve seen a lot of my friends come and go through the program. I’ve been emotional for them on those days, so I don’t think it will be too much different for me. I’m going to enjoy the moment, enjoy the atmosphere. When kickoff comes, then I’ll be ready for the game.”

“For me, it’s just a time to get announced in front of the crowd for one last time and meet your parents at midfield and shed a couple tears and just go on,” Sorgi said. “It’s the end of your stay here, and you try to enjoy it to the fullest extent. Then, like Lee (Evans) said, you realize you’ve got a game to play and you’ve got a game to win. This game has a lot of implications on what happens postseason, and I think that’s our main focus.”

For senior safety Ryan Aiello, Saturday’s showdown with the Hawkeyes holds plenty of significance.

“It’s a really important game, you know,” he said. “It’s the last time we’re going to play here, the last time I ever play with all these guys besides the bowl game, the last time with this fan atmosphere in front of the home crowd. Not only that, it’s really important to get this win for a better bowl game.”

Wisconsin head coach Barry Alvarez looks to his seniors every year for team leadership. This season has been no different, and Alvarez couldn’t be happier with the way they have carried the Badgers through adversity.

“You see how they’ve led this year and how they’ve gone about their business,” he said. “I think they’ve been excellent leaders. They’re playing the best football of their careers right now, and I always say that to have a successful year, your seniors have to play the best football of their career. I think they all lead by example, off the field as well as on. They go about their business in the right way, they take care of their business in the classroom, they’re just good people. …You’d like to emulate those guys as you recruit. Have people like that in your program every year. So I couldn’t be more pleased with them and what they’ve contributed to our program.”

Without a doubt, the class of 2003’s legacy will be remembered by all Badger fans. Sorgi is putting together a strong finish with his two recent superb performances against Minnesota and Michigan State. Evans has continued his destruction of Wisconsin’s receiving record book. Mack and Lewis have maintained their defensive intensity and guidance, as well as frequent bone-crushing hits.

Sometimes, the best moments of one’s career come at the closing phases. For the seniors, this year’s upset of Ohio State is perhaps one of their biggest highlights.

“No doubt the best moment of my career here was when we beat Ohio State a couple weeks ago,” Aiello said. “That was awesome, you know. That’s what I came here to do. That kind of atmosphere I always wanted to play in.”

Numerous memories are going to be left on the field this weekend. These UW seniors will leave their storied careers in Camp Randall Saturday — all the accolades and excitement of being a Badger.