Dortch returns to Madison, continues comeback

For football fans and players alike, there may never be a better game-day atmosphere than that of a Homecoming game. The Homecoming game could not have taken place at a more opportune time Oct. 28, 2001, as the game coincided with the Halloween festivities taking place around Madison. With school spirit riding high, and a mob of people poised to party the night away, there seemingly was nothing that could dampen the mood that weekend.

Even with all the fervor surrounding that particular weekend, all of it was easily forgotten when Michigan State running back Tyrell Dortch severely broke his lower right leg going into halftime of a 42-28 Spartan victory against the Badgers.

Though every loss is tough to swallow, anyone who witnessed the injury will say that the loss had yet to dawn on them — most people were preoccupied by Dortch’s injury status. The nature of the injury, coupled with its severity, once again reminded fans of the precariousness of a football player’s health and longevity.

As expected, the injury has taken its toll on Dortch, who was sidelined for the duration of a tumultuous season for the Spartans last year while recovering from his operation. Amazingly, the junior running back returned in top form and was listed atop the depth chart at his position after spring training commenced. Still, he has been used sparingly throughout the year.

Dortch carried the ball a season-high 16 times in the season opener against Western Michigan and has amassed 198 yards on 45 carries through 10 games this year. However, in four games, including last week’s slate against Ohio State, Dortch never saw the field.

With two starts at cornerback under his belt (including the Oct. 28 game against Wisconsin), Dortch has yet to a play a down on defense as well. Whether or not this has been a conscious decision by the Michigan State coaching staff or a result of a new offensive system is yet to be known, but Tyrell is making the most out of his renewed lease on football.

“Of course I was disappointed with the injury and the way everything took place, but things like this happen in football,” said Dortch when asked to recall the injury suffered at Camp Randall two years ago. “My role has changed obviously … I accept my role, and I’m going to go ahead with it.”

Dortch’s return to Madison, where he spent an extensive amount of time to conduct the operation on his leg, will undoubtedly be bittersweet and may evoke some painful memories. But Dortch swears that it’s at the back of his mind — for now.

“[The injury] happened two years ago, so I should be over it,” Dortch said. “I might be thinking about it after the game, but it can’t be an issue beforehand.”

Though Dortch is adamant that the injury no longer bothers him, the trying times that he endured as a result of his injury are not completely lost on him. At a time when his football future was in doubt, Dortch found comfort in the numerous visits paid by the Wisconsin coaching staff and players while he remained in Madison to continue with the operation on his leg. During this time, Tyrell forged a number of bonds around Madison, and he remains grateful for the support lent to him at his time of uncertainty.

“I will definitely make sure to thank the guys and shake their hands after the game,” Dortch said.

Even during the preseason Big Ten banquet, Dortch made sure that he paid his respects to UW head coach Barry Alvarez and the rest of his staff.

“What you find out is he’s really a quality young man and he was fun to be around and I think we have a special bond because of that,” said Alvarez about the time he spent with Dortch.

In a year that has featured many triumphant returns from season-ending injuries, Dortch’s story has been hovering under the media radar. While he may not be leading the Heisman polls, his play has been an inspiration to his teammates, who, along with Spartan coach John L. Smith, are picking up the pieces of a program that was in shambles last year. After the extended wait to get back onto the playing field, Dortch has been rewarded for his patience as the Spartans are in the midst of a resurgent year and are already guaranteed a bowl birth.

Both teams are going to lay everything on the line in hopes of ending their respective losing streaks this upcoming Saturday; and while stakes are high, players like Tyrell Dortch continue to remind us that football is only a game and that the relationships built during this time and the life experiences a player accrues over his career are what the game is about.