Sorgi ready

For a team that has been awoken from Big Ten championship dreams in the past two games, the Wisconsin Badgers are in remarkably good spirits looking forward to this weekend’s matchup against the Golden Gophers of Minnesota.

“We wanted to go through the season undefeated, so of course there’s some disappointment. I mean, you always want to be undefeated,” admitted Brandon Williams with every bit of his usual, characteristic swagger. “But we’re still upbeat about what’s going on. Man, we just have the attitude that if we go out and handle our business, we’re the same team that had no losses in the Big Ten a couple weeks ago … It’s not like we’re out of this thing.”

It appears that the potentially backbreaking loss to Northwestern two weekends ago has even improved some of the attitudes in the Badger locker room. Quarterback Jim Sorgi strutted around after practice on Tuesday looking as if he was having more fun than he’s had all season.

Head coach Barry Alvarez told reporters at a press conference Monday that he thought the time on the sidelines was probably a good thing for Sorgi.

“Sometimes you’ll get away from the activity a little bit, and it will give you a chance to look at it from a little different angle,” Alvarez said. “Sometimes you’ll be able to recharge your battery … Hopefully, he comes back fresher and is able to pick up [his game] and play well.”

Sorgi explained that missing the Northwestern loss, while frustrating, has given him a better perspective on the opportunity he has at Wisconsin.

“No matter what happens this weekend, good or bad, or in the rest of these games,” the senior captain explained, “you’re going to see a different kind of ball player out there. I’m going to have fun. I’m going to go out there and just play football and have fun. I’ve only got four more games here.”

“Maybe I was taking being the starting quarterback a little bit for granted,” he added. “I’ve been going out there and playing to the best of my ability, but not with that fire, with that emotion to pump guys up and get things going.”

Loosening up his game and having fun may be exactly the right booster for Sorgi, who has often struggled this year. It may also help to loosen up the rest of the offense and get it clicking the way it has occasionally shown it can.

“If the loss helped him loosen up, that’s good,” offensive coordinator Brian White said. “Playing a bit looser is good for him. I don’t know that I agree that it should take losing to get the players going, but whatever.”

The chance to play a consensually top-25 team and major rival in Minnesota is another factor helping to reinvigorate the team.

“It’s not hard to get up for any Big Ten game,” Williams said, “but Minnesota is one we look forward to.”

“They’re the best offensive team in football, so we’ll have to go out there and score some points,” White said. “We look forward to that type of challenge.”

The Gophers, a rush-oriented physical team, play a style of football that could be a welcome relief for the Badgers after losing to a couple teams that have spread the ball out more than UW was able to handle.

“I think our guys prefer to play a team like that over a team that spreads you out,” Alvarez said. “It’ll be a very physical game.”

Offensive lineman Donovan Raiola, who was recently named to a mid-season All American team by SI.com, confirmed his coach’s feelings.

“Oh, definitely. We look forward to games against teams that play our style of ball,” said the first year starter. “We’re going to go out there and play with a lot of intensity.”

Sorgi agreed that the team should play with more fire this weekend.

“The team came out against Northwestern and was flat. We didn’t play like we can play, but I think the issues have been addressed,” he said. “I think you’ll see a more fired-up and ready-to-go team this weekend.”