Yankees wash Sox

NEW YORK (REUTERS) — Aaron Boone smashed his first postseason home run in the 11th inning to hand the New York Yankees a 6-5 win over the Boston Red Sox in Game Seven of the American League Championship Series Thursday.

The Yankees, bidding for their record 27th World Series victory, will host the National League champion Florida Marlins Saturday. The Marlins won their only World Series in 1997.

Boone, acquired from Cincinnati July 31, hit the game-winning home run off Boston knuckleballer Tim Wakefield, who had earlier won Games One and Four and was in line for ALCS MVP honors. Instead, those honors went to Yankee reliever Mariano Rivera, who picked up the victory by pitching three scoreless innings out of the bullpen.
The game featured a starting pitching matchup of future Hall of Famers, in Roger Clemens and Pedro Martinez. Clemens lasted only three innings, allowing four runs on six hits, including two home runs. Martinez pitched 7 1/3 innings, striking out eight but allowing five runs on 10 hits.

New York’s Jason Giambi went 2-5 on a pair of solo home runs

The Yankees will head to their fifth World Series in six seasons; they last won the Fall Classic in 2000, with a victory over the Mets.

Boone’s homer was the first pennant-winning, extra-inning shot for the Yankees since Chris Chambliss hit one in the ninth inning against Kansas City in 1976.

Game One of the World Series is scheduled for Saturday at 6:30 p.m. CST in New York.