Badgers and Buckeyes ready for showdown

When the No. 3 Ohio State Buckeyes come into Madison Saturday, they will be faced with their own share of challenges: continuing a 19-game winning streak, welcoming back quarterback Craig Krenzel from a month-long injury and their first road game of the year. After going 14-0 and winning the national title, the Buckeyes have sustained that momentum and are 5-0 despite several major distractions on and off the field.

Coming into the season, the Buckeyes were faced with all the expectations of a team that had won the national title the year before, and had good reason to believe the hype. The Buckeyes returned 18 starters from their championship squad, including all 11 on offense, and had several players named as pre-season All-Americans.

However, the problems began early for the Buckeyes, as a cloud of controversy centered on Maurice Clarett surrounded their training camp. Clarett, the nation’s leading freshman running back last year and a pre-season All-American selection, was accused of academic rule violations, as well as rumors of receiving compensation from boosters. After much scandal and media scrutiny, it was finally decided earlier this fall that Clarett would be suspended for the season for his various NCAA rule violations.

Without Clarett in the backfield, the running-back duties have been split between juniors Maurice Hall and Lydell Ross, and neither has shown the playmaking ability of Clarett. While remaining a very balanced attack, the Buckeyes are averaging less then 300 yards a game in total offense. The Buckeye offense has struggled against its competition for much of the season, a problem that was compounded by the loss of Krenzel. Despite this, the Buckeyes have managed to stay undefeated due to their success in winning close contests.

After a season-opening 28-9 defeat of the Washington Huskies, the Buckeyes proceeded to struggle at home against an unranked San Diego State squad before winning the game 16-13 on a fourth-quarter field goal by All-American kicker Mike Nugent.

The Buckeyes’ first true test of the season came when then-No. 11 North Carolina State came to Columbus. Following a frantic fourth-quarter rally by NC State, the Buckeyes managed to prevail in overtime by a score of 44-38. The next week, the Buckeyes once again struggled against an unranked opponent — this time, in-state rival Bowling Green. Ohio State needed an interception inside the red zone on the last play of the game to seal a 24-17 victory. After defeating Bowling Green, the Buckeyes struggled once more, this time against Northwestern at home, before winning 20-0.

The main reason the Buckeyes have been able to win despite their struggling offense is due to the stout play of the defense. This is largely due to the play of sophomore linebacker A.J. Hawk, who is leading the defense in tackles. An effective run defender, Hawk will be called upon to lead the charge against a solid Wisconsin running game. For pass defense, the Buckeyes will look to a secondary led by cornerback/wide receiver Chris Gamble. Gamble will likely be tasked with lining up opposite Badger receiver Lee Evans.

Saturday’s matchup will be the continuation of what has been lately a hotly contested rivalry. When both teams are ranked in the top 25, the Buckeyes hold a 7-2-2 advantage over the Badgers. However, in the last four games, the series is split, with each game being won by the visiting team. The last two games have been decided by a total of eight points. Considering this and that the Buckeyes have won 10 of their 19 consecutive victories by a touchdown or less, Saturday’s match up looks to go down to the final gun.