Hockey star involved in high-speed crash

ATLANTA (REUTERS) — Atlanta Thrashers hockey star Dany Heatley was seriously injured and a teammate was left in a coma after a car wreck in Atlanta’s fashionable Buckhead district, team officials and doctors said Tuesday.

Heatley, 22, lost control of his black Ferrari automobile at around 10:30 p.m. EDT Monday, crashing into a concrete and red-brick pillar at high speed, according to Sgt. John Quigley, a spokesman for the Atlanta Police Department.

The impact split the car in half and tossed teammate Dan Snyder out of the vehicle.

Snyder, 25, suffered a fractured skull and brain injury that required two hours of surgery at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta. Doctors said tests showed no indication of bleeding in the young forward’s brain, but they added that they would continue to monitor for swelling.

Snyder has not been conscious since the operation. His doctors said it would be two or three days before they had a good idea whether he would emerge from his comatose state.

“He’s a young, healthy guy and that certainly works in his favor,” Dr. Sanjay Gupta, who operated on Snyder, said at a press conference outside the hospital.

Heatley, who was the National Hockey League rookie of the year in 2001-02, was in stable condition at the same hospital with a broken jaw and injuries to his shoulder, leg and lung. He is expected to be released Wednesday.

Police have charged Heatley with reckless driving and causing serious injury with a vehicle, but have said that alcohol did not appear to be a factor in the accident.

“We believe speed may have something to do with it,” Quigley said.

The accident prompted the Thrashers to cancel a practice Tuesday. Team officials said a scheduled pre-season game against the Florida Panthers Wednesday was under consideration.

Heatley led Atlanta in scoring last season with a team-record 41 goals and 48 assists. He is the Thrashers’ career-scoring leader with 155 points. Snyder scored 10 goals and had four assists in 36 games for Atlanta last season.