Stepping it up

On the heels of a timely and much-needed victory, the Badgers remain confronted with a myriad of questions on the defensive side of the ball. Special teams aside, the Badgers’ defensive unit has been the most disconcerting for this year’s squad.

With injuries depleting the defensive line — heralded by pundits as the strength of this year’s unit — the defense has been marred by frequent lineup changes and a susceptibility to big plays. The revolving doors at the strong safety, cornerback and drop linebacker positions have produced mixed results and contributed to the team’s defensive woes. It will be gut-check time this weekend at Urbana-Champaign, where the Badgers hope to contain Illini quarterback Jon Beutjer and coach Ron Turner’s pro-style/spread offense.

Although Illinois has a 1-3 record, a look beyond its win-loss record produces some interesting offensive stats. Jon Beutjer, the Illini’s second-year starter, has quietly established himself as one of the Big Ten’s preeminent quarterbacks, averaging 284 passing yards a game, completing 65 percent of his passes and throwing for eight touchdowns through four games. In last week’s losing effort to California, Beutjer amassed 431 yards through the air en route to being selected as the Big Ten’s offensive player of the week.

“You know, all three of those games they very easily could be sitting here with no losses,” head coach Barry Alvarez said. “So, our guys are smart enough. I don’t think I have to mention that. That this is a good football team coming, and we will have to play very well.”

Such passing numbers will remind the Badgers of their game against an Akron team equipped with an equally efficient passing game. The Illini employ an offense that passes the ball not only to their receivers, but their tight ends as well as their backs.

“You really can’t focus on one person,” Alvarez said. “They give you a number of different formations, a number of different motions. You know they’re going to spread the field. The backs will catch the ball. So it’s a very multiple and versatile offense, and they do spread it around.”

The game against Illinois may determine the stability of the defensive backfield during the Big Ten season. In the last two weeks, walk-on safety Joe Stellmacher has displayed great instincts and athleticism but has yet to gain a stronghold on the position from senior Ryan Aiello. Stellmacher’s improvement on defensive reads and his ability to key in on hot receivers will enable the defense to bring more pressure from the corners and bolster the pass rush.

Levonne Rowan can also solidify his starting status with an impressive showing in this game. Thus far, Rowan has covered his assignments well and presents a favorable matchup physically against the tall Illini receivers. The biggest question for the defensive backfield will likely be the injury status of Brett Bell, who sat out last week’s game against UNC and who has been a rare model of consistency this year.

The other key in the defensive game plan will be the pass rush and the ability to limit Beutjer’s time in the pocket. Defensive end Jonathan Welsh has done a stellar job this year rushing off the edge, establishing himself as the Badgers’ main pass-rushing threat. Possibly a statement game for UW, how the Badgers perform on the road this weekend will go a long way in demonstrating the team’s character.