Plenty of seats on the bandwagon

Before last weekend’s disappointing loss to UNLV, the collective school spirit surrounding the Badger football program rivaled that of any in the nation.

After all, Wisconsin was the No. 14-ranked team in the country, the UW campus had just been named “The Best College Town” by Sports Illustrated and, for the first time since the ’99 season, the Badgers had a legitimate Heisman candidate.

It was a great time to be a supporter of Barry’s boys, and everyone was hopping aboard the Wisconsin bandwagon.

However, for a few fans of the cardinal and white, the ride on that bandwagon would be short-lived, as last week’s loss led to a subsequent loss of interest for supposed Badger-backers.

Now, I can understand being disappointed or even a little angry after watching Wisconsin get totally outplayed, especially by a team like UNLV. But there is a difference between being disappointed and being totally dispirited.

There is a lot of season left and the Badgers haven’t even played a conference game yet; so, while the meltdown against UNLV is reason for concern, it isn’t the end of the world as far as UW’s season goes.

While sitting in class this week, I overheard a number of conversations about the Badgers’ loss to the Rebels, but one comment in particular really stuck with me.

“Let’s face it. The season is over. You play to win a national championship and now [Wisconsin] can’t.”

While a national championship might be what schools like Miami are shooting for every year, winning the Big Ten or even getting invited to a top-flight bowl game would be a more feasible goal for UW.

And what if neither of those things happens?

It would be understandable for fans like those in Ann Arbor to turn on their team. But that’s one of the reasons why Michigan sucks, and Wisconsin doesn’t.

I asked UW senior middle linebacker Jeff Mack about UW’s fans earlier this week, and this is what he said.

“Our fans are some of the best I’ve ever seen. You know, we’ve played other teams in other arenas and other venues, but nothing really compares to our fans. I love our student section more than anything … I can’t say enough about them.”

So, when you hear those token few guys (and girls) ripping on the Badgers, I urge you to speak up and make them look as bad as possible.

This isn’t the first time “die-hard” fans have lost interest in a team, though.

I can remember a time in the mid-’90s when the only group more popular than Jesse and the Rippers was Troy Aikman and the Dallas Cowboys.

After winning three out of four straight Super Bowls, however, things began to go south in big ‘D.’ The ‘Boys would go on to make three more playoff appearances in the ’90s, but it wasn’t enough to hold on to many members of its fan base.

The Cowboys are just one example of many that have had fair-weather fans lose interest in their team.

Among others, the Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Indians and Pittsburgh Pirates have all lost a large chunk of their fan support in recent years.

Don’t get me wrong, winning is great. But sticking by a team through the tough times and then winning is much greater.

As a Packer fan since birth, some of the most memorable moments of my childhood were spent listening to my dad and uncles swear at the TV as Keith Woodside fumbled another ball or Don Majkowski took another sack.

By the time Green Bay won the Super Bowl in 1996, I had seen my fair share of poor seasons.

But that’s what made that season so much sweeter.

And this is why I have a lot of respect for the loyal Bears fans out there (no matter how misguided they may be), who stick by their team in 2003. With Kordell Stewart at quarterback and virtually no viable options other than Marty Booker and Dez White at receiver, it could be a long season in Chicago. But, hey, at least you’ve got the Cubs.

Anyway, I realize that cheering for a winning team is a lot more fun than rooting for a loser. But sticking by a team when it’s down makes it all worthwhile.

In closing, go Brewers.