Balanced operation

Heading into the 2003 football season, head coach Barry Alvarez made it clear that his offensive playmakers should expect balance and not the nation’s top statistical numbers. Alvarez had no idea that his balanced offensive attack would produce a 200-yard rusher and a 200-yard passer in the same game.

With Lee Evans and Anthony Davis leading the way, UW has been given the challenge to keep its role players interested and active in the offensive scheme. Though Evans made nine catches in last week’s win against Akron, only Darrin Charles managed to catch more than one pass, and his receptions were the first two of his junior year.

Meanwhile, the sensational sophomore, Jonathan Orr, made his first catch of the season with a 30-yard strike from Jim Sorgi. Quick-footed Brandon Williams has been Sorgi’s second-favorite target of the season, catching eight passes for 95 yards, but Evans remains the only Badger to be on the receiving end of a Sorgi touchdown toss.

“I just think it all depends on the focal point of the defense,” Sorgi said. “Jonathan and Darrin did not get too many catches, but you never know, next week they might be the guy that is open more often than not.”

Because they aren’t making many catches this season, UW’s wide-outs have had to make their impacts in a variety of other ways. Downfield blocking has become a premium for the Badgers this season, as Jonathon Orr made key blocks on two UW touchdowns against Akron.

“I don’t know of anybody whose receivers are latched onto the secondary guys like ours are and competing out there and blocking,” head coach Barry Alvarez said. “I think that’s an example of [the] unselfishness of those guys, and when they say they’re worried about winning games and that’s their number one concern, that’s proof.”

The Badger receivers have also become invaluable in their ability to occupy defenses, freeing Evans to make big plays.

Sorgi has talked about the understanding that the young receiving corps must maintain in order for the offense to make its biggest impact. If someone doesn’t run their route or make a downfield block, opposing defenses have a much greater chance of stopping the Badgers’ offense.

“All of them are stronger [after] another year of lifting,” Alvarez said of his receiving corps. “They are better and I think they understand what we want more. They see Lee doing it and working at it and how hard he works at it to be a complete receiver. So there’s no question. They are much better.”

On the running end of Alvarez’s balanced offensive attack is Heisman hopeful Anthony Davis. After rushing for 247 yards last Saturday, Davis made the media forget about highly touted pre-season standout Booker Stanley. Carrying the ball on nearly 75 percent of the Badgers’ planned running plays, Davis hasn’t disappointed this season.

While the Badgers have begun to run a two-back offense with regularity this season, the credit for Davis’ success can be given to the offensive line, as well as sophomore Dwayne Smith. Smith, who had only six touches in Saturday’s win, has helped pave the way for Davis by running well-designed fakes and making crucial blocks. Smith made the most of his six runs, as he averaged 7.8 yards per play and scored on a 34-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

The Badgers’ balance will likely be put to the test when the Big Ten season rolls around, but for now it appears that UW’s offense is clicking on nearly all cylinders. The deep ball still remains a problem for Sorgi, but it appears as long as he puts it anywhere near Lee Evans the result will be positive.

Although the play selection heavily favored the run last Saturday (44 of 69 plays), UW’s production was exactly what coach Alvarez wanted to see. As a team, the Badgers passed for 281 yards while rushing for 310 and proved in their 48-31 win that it’s not how you move the ball down the field that counts, it’s that you move the ball down the field. The UW offense will have another chance to prove their potency when UNLV comes to Madison this Saturday.