UW melts the ice with hot play

Wisconsin (13-19-4, 7-15-4) continued its domination on the ice as of late, running its unbeaten streak to four games with a 9-5 victory over Michigan Tech (9-21-4, 6-17-3) Saturday night.

The win was the third in a row for the Badgers as the Cardinal and White established numerous season-bests in an offensive show put on by UW. Wisconsin’s nine goals were not only the most this season, but also the most since a 9-6 win over the University of Massachusetts-Amherst at the Kohl Center Oct. 6, 2000. Nine goals represent the most goals on the road since a 9-4 win at North Dakota on Jan. 3, 1992.

Wisconsin came out on fire, scoring on five of its first eight shots, all coming before the 7:00 mark of the first period. Junior center Jake Heisler tallied twice in the period, with goals also coming from freshmen Nick Licari and Tom Gilbert as well as junior Rene Bourque. The Huskies responded by scoring back-to-back goals before the end of the period, to trail 5-2 at the end of the first period.

The teams picked up where they left off in the opening period, combining to score five more goals — three by UW and two by Michigan Tech. Bourque scored his team-high 18th of the year and senior winger Erik Jensen tallied twice in the period, his fourth and fifth goals of the year. After the second frame, UW held an 8-4 advantage.

Senior goaltender Scott Kabotoff replaced sophomore starter Bernd Bruckler at the start the third period. Bruckler left with 26 saves on 30 shots. Kabotoff made 11 saves on 12 shots in his one period of work.

Senior defenseman Mark Jackson scored the Badgers’ final goal of the night, his fifth of the season, late in the game. The Badgers have now scored 10 power-play goals in the last eight games (37 opportunities) after struggling earlier in the season.

The game, played in Green Bay, Wis., was the third time that Michigan Tech has come south of the Michigan border to play a home game. It followed a 3-2 Badger win on Friday night that put the Badgers in eighth place in the WCHA.

The scoring began when freshman Ryan MacMurchy’s scored his ninth goal of the year. The Huskies answered at the 9:17 mark on Clay Wilson’s seventh goal of the season. The period ended at a 1-1 tie, though the Badgers outshot the Huskies 10-8 in the period.

In the second period, MacMurchy struck again, this time on the power play, scoring his 10th goal of the year and registering his first multi-goal game as a Badger. Freshman Tom Gilbert carried the puck up the ice, dropping a pass to Licari. His shot was blocked in the slot, but Gilbert gained control of the puck and fed MacMurchy to give UW its second lead of the night at 2-1.

The Badgers entered the third period with a lead for the 11th time of the season. UW was 8-1-1 in that situation prior to Friday night. The Huskies, though, didn’t take long to tie the game, scoring just seven seconds into the period. UW responded again and this time kept its lead. Scoring the second power-play goal of the evening, Brian Fahey’s slapshot from the point hit the back of the net. Andy Wozniewski and Jake Heisler tallied the game-winning assists.

It marked the seventh one-goal win of the year for the Badgers and with just one series remaining in the regular season — this weekend vs. North Dakota — the Badgers are three points ahead of Michigan Tech, in eighth place in the WCHA standings.

— compiled from staff reports