Bucks’ Allen swapped for Payton, Mason

(REUTERS) — The Seattle SuperSonics and the Milwaukee Bucks executed a major trade at the NBA’s trade deadline Thursday, with Seattle sending Gary Payton and Desmond Mason to Milwaukee for Ray Allen, Kevin Ollie, Ronald Murray and a conditional first-round draft pick.

Payton was to have played his 1,000th game in a Seattle uniform Friday night. Instead he’ll be wearing a Milwaukee uniform when the Bucks play Seattle in a nationally televised game after re-joining his former coach George Karl.

Seattle also sent point guard Kenny Anderson to the New Orleans Hornets for Elden Campbell in a separate deal.

Earlier, the Boston Celtics sent point guard Shammond Williams to Denver for center Mark Blount and forward Mark Bryant, along with a future second round draft pick and cash.

The 34-year-old Payton is considered one of the NBA’s top point guards. A nine-time All-Star, he played 13 seasons for the Sonics and is in the final year of a seven-year contract that pays him approximately $13 million this season.

Payton is averaging 20.8 points per game and 8.8 assists. He scored 31 points in his final game with Seattle Wednesday night.

Mason, 25, is averaging 14.1 points and 6.4 rebounds per game in his third season with Seattle.

Allen, 27, is averaging 21.3 points and 3.5 assists a game. He was recently named to the United States team for the 2004 Olympics and is a three-time NBA All-Star.

A three-time all-star, Allen is in year four of a six-year, $71 million contract.

Ollie, a 30-year-old journeyman, is averaging 5.7 points and 3.4 assists in 21.3 minutes a game. Murray, 23, has appeared in just 12 games this season.

Anderson also plays point guard and will be a free agent at the end of the season.

Campbell, a 6-11 center, is also slated for free agency. He has been bothered by knee problems all season.

The Nuggets get Williams, a fifth-year guard, to try to aid a team with the NBA’s second-worst record at 12-43. He averaged 7.3 points and 2.5 assists with Boston.

Blount averaged 5.2 points and 3.4 rebounds. He signed with Denver last summer after spending his first two seasons in Boston.

Bryant joins his 10th NBA team in 14 seasons. He was traded earlier this season from Philadelphia to Denver in a three-way trade, which also involved Houston. He has scored just 13 points in 14 games this season.