Badgers’ sluggers dominate Triangle Classic

The Badgers softball team dominated at the Triangle Classic in Raleigh, N.C., this weekend, going 3-0 before being forced out of play by rain and poor field conditions. Although they were denied the Classic title, they still have a lot to talk about, outscoring their opponents 19-3 over three games. Leading the way for the Badgers was outfielder Erin Barnharst, who tallied three three-run home runs over the weekend.

The Badgers’ (5-3) command of the tournament began on Friday with a 4-0 victory over James Madison. Sophomore pitcher Katie Layne threw a complete game for the Badgers, allowing only four hits over seven innings. Wisconsin kept that momentum going into Friday’s second game with a 10-0 win over UNC-Greensboro.

After a scoreless first inning, the Badgers took control in the bottom of the second with seven runs, thanks to hits by Meghan Reiss, Natalie Phillips, Emily Friedman and two by Barnharst. Pitcher Andrea Kirchberg had complete control of the Spartans’ offense, notching 13 strikeouts and allowing just one hit over five innings.

“Our teamwork was excellent,” said first baseman Meghan Reiss. “The defense really stepped up, and the offense was strong too.”

Saturday’s match against Fordham started out strong, with Layne striking out six batters in three innings. But after the Rams took a 2-1 lead in the top of the fifth after a home run by the Rams’ Michelle Schlichtig and two back-to-back singles, Kirchberg took over. She retired the side with three straight strikeouts, and the Badgers were able to breathe a little easier. In the bottom of the fifth, Barnharst took advantage of two runners on base, hitting her third home run of the weekend.

“Considering the weather conditions, we had a great tournament overall,” Barnharst said. “Our defense was tight and we really got our jobs done when we needed to.”

Head coach Karen Gallagher echoed Barnharst’s thoughts.

“This was really an excellent weekend — especially coming into the FAU tournament. It gave the freshman and some of the slumping players the boost that we really need to take with us,” Gallagher said.

This weekend, the Badgers look to take that momentum into the Florida Atlantic University Invitational in Boca Raton, Fla. They are scheduled to take on Long Island (1-1) and Florida International (4-11) on Friday, followed by Rutgers (1-1) and Florida Atlantic (5-6) on Saturday.

If the Badgers can beat these teams, they will face the ultimate test in UCLA (10-1). Wisconsin is winless in three games against the top-ranked Bruins squad, which includes three candidates for USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year. As daunting as the task sounds, Gallagher is confident in her team.

“We’re really excited for the chance to play UCLA, and I believe we have a good shot at competing with them. The chance to play one of the best teams in the country is something that is really motivating the team to play their hardest in Florida,” said Gallagher.

However, in order to get a shot at the Bruins, the Badger team will need to focus on a few key areas.

“One major thing we need to do is focus,” Barnharst said. “We have a lot of fun on the field, which is good, but we need to bear down and realize that we have a job to do as well.”

According to Reiss, the team needs to play well in all aspects of the game.

“This is the time when all the facets come together — fielding, hitting, speed. They’re all going to have to happen at once for us to come out victorious,” Reiss said.