UW tops UW-Green Bay and UW-Milwaukee in final home meet

Wisconsin’s swimming and diving teams dominated the competition at their last home dual-action meet Friday night. The men’s team overpowered its opponents, coasting to a 118-102 win over UW-Green Bay and a 115-84 win over UW-Milwaukee. The women were equally impressive, winning 10 out of 11 events and securing a 149-83 win over UW-Green Bay and a 154-82 win over UW-Milwaukee.

“Tonight we swam really solid, and it was what we were hoping for in preparation for Big Tens,” head coach Eric Hansen said. “We swam some different races with different people, and they all responded well.”

The competition Friday night marked the last home meet for a number of men’s and women’s swimmers, including Brink Ciferri, Brian Neuman, Matt Zuiderhof, Betsy Hassebroek, Jenny Lyman and Sarah McCauley.

The men started out the competition on a high note as Pat Torpey, Chris Anderson, Matt Marshall and Dale Rogers teamed up to win the 200-yard medley relay in 1:32.21. The Badgers’ success continued throughout the night, as numerous Wisconsin swimmers captured wins.

Freshman Michael Hamm won the 1650-yard freestyle (16:11.53), while Rogers placed first in the 200-yard IM with a time of 1:53.24.

Torpey won the 200-yard butterfly (1:49.02), while fellow teammates Tim Liebhold and Eric Wiesner each turned in impressive performances, taking first place in the 200-yard backstroke (1:51.32) and the 500-yard freestyle (4:35.91).

On the women’s side of the meet, Lyman turned in what coach Hansen said was the best performance of the night. “Leading off the relay with a 0:49.9, [Lyman] is a sprinter, and having just won the 500-yard, then coming out and doing that — it’s amazing.” Hansen said.

Piper also performed well, setting a new pool record in the 1650-yard freestyle. Her time of 16:34.98 beat the previous record by almost eight seconds.

The women were able to set another school record in the 400-yard relay as Lyman, Hassebroek, McCauley and Piper logged a winning time of 3:23.16.

Other top finishers on the women’s side include Molly Buhrandt, who won the 200-yard backstroke (2:04.69), and McCauley, who won the 100-yard freestyle (0:51.33).

In the diving events, Wisconsin freshman Megan Balkenbush received first place in both the one- and three-meter boards. In the one-meter, Balkenbush got a score of 267.00, and on the three-meter board she finished with a score of 260.90.

Next up for both the men and women’s teams are the Big Ten championships. After that, the Badgers go on to NCAA competition.

“I’m really excited; I can’t wait to get there now,” Hansen said. “We’ve made a lot of big steps this year. We feel like we’re in the right place, like we’re on schedule.”

It seems as though the Badgers are poised to make a big impact on both Big Ten and NCAA competition. According to the latest College Swim Coaches Association of Dual Meet poll, the Badgers are currently No. 10 in the nation and were as high as No. 8 at one point in the season.

Hansen likes where the program is right now and looks forward to what the team can accomplish in Big Tens and NCAA competition.

“We’ve grown and we’ve grown, and now it’s getting to the point where it’s getting to be really fun,” Hansen said. “The kids feel that way, and the staff feels that way. So we’re enjoying it, but it has taken a lot of hard work.”

The men’s team has three weeks to rest and prepare for Big Ten championships, which start Feb. 27 in Ann Arbor, Mich., while the women’s team has about a week to prepare for its Big Ten championship meet, beginning competition Feb. 19 in West Lafayette, Ind.