A difficult road to Big Ten title

Not too long ago the Badgers were just hoping to win a conference game. Now, after an impressive five-game win streak, they find themselves within a game of the conference lead.

“Our kids took advantage of our home stand and that was important for our chances in the conference,” Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan said. “We have been playing well as of late, and we must continue this trend as we head into difficult road games.”

A big contest awaits these hot Badger players as they take their show on the road with a shot at the top spot in league play Wednesday night, traveling to Purdue. Led by senior shooting guard Kirk Penny and company, the Badgers have found its niche at both ends of the floor. Penny has been hot as of late shooting a stellar 55 percent from the field over the past week as the Badgers wrapped up an undefeated home stand.

“Kirk has been playing well in all aspects of his game,” Ryan said. “His defense has been great and offensively we have set him up well for good looks at the basket, and he has knocked his shots down.”

Penney received admiration from other coaches in the conference on his play and leadership over his career at Wisconsin.

“Penny has been a great player for Wisconsin for a long time,” Purdue head coach Gene Keady said. “He has a lot of experience from playing with the New Zealand Olympic and world teams and he is a smart player that can shoot it from anywhere.”

Can anyone win a road game?

The Big Ten is notorious for wild home crowds and difficult atmospheres for the road team. This season has proven no different as the home team continues to dominate with a combined 30-10 record.

“Until someone can win a road game, no one will distinguish themselves as an elite team,” Indiana head coach Mike Davis said. “The team that can get a big win or two on the road is the team that’s going to win the regular season championship.”

At 6-1 in conference play, Purdue has been the only club to find a way to win on the road and, not surprising, find themselves at the top of the conference. Led by offensive star Willie Deane, who was named Big Ten player of the week Sunday, the Boilermakers have found a way to get wins down the stretch of big games.

“In the past few years we haven’t been able to hit the big shot or get the breaks needed to win close games,” Keady commented. “I think this team came together over the summer and their hard work is clearly paying off. I’m very proud of them.”

Coaches continue to express anger over scheduling

The talk around the conference in the past few weeks has been anger over the amount of consecutive road games teams have had to play this season. The balance between travel, missed classes and stress it can have on the players, both on and off the court, is clearly an issue that will have to be addressed upon conclusion of the season.

Northwestern, still winless in conference play, opened up the Big Ten schedule with five of its first seven games on the road, while Penn State is preparing for a two-week stretch in which they play four games away from their home court.

“To have three consecutive road games is, simply put, too much,” Iowa head coach Steve Alford said. “Not only do we have consecutive road games much of the season, but most of our road games are scheduled during the week and our players are missing classes they shouldn’t have to. There needs to be a balance of weekend games so our kids don’t have to miss more classes then they should.”