Wade finding his niche

For a team as shallow on the bench as the Wisconsin Badgers, the development of the freshmen was seen as an integral part of the development of Bo Ryan’s team in the 2002-03 season. Out of the blocks, the amazing play of Alando Tucker was deemed an instant success, and his athleticism brought great excitement and versatility to the team.

Tucker’s impact was great and immediate, but the development of freshman guard Boo Wade has been a bit slower. Wade went through a baptism by fire, playing significant minutes and learning Ryan’s system. Wade has been an integral part of the team; providing rest for the backcourt, solid defense and backup at the point guard position so sophomore Devin Harris could switch to shooting guard. Wade’s statistics were minimal, but he was listening, learning and developing.

Last night against Northwestern, Wade seemed to come into his own. The numbers weren’t huge, but Wade played a career-high 30 minutes without committing a single turnover. He played competently, showing poise in breaking Northwestern’s press and continued his stellar defensive play.

“I don’t think [we’d be] where we are without what he contributes,” Ryan said of Wade. “Defensively, offensively, fundamentals … He just gets it done. He’s sound. He does some really nice things, and he’s getting better. He’s another one of those guys that comes in [and] doesn’t think he has all the answers. And boy, do we like coaching those guys.”

Wade contributed six points on 3-for-4 shooting while adding three rebounds and a team-high four assists. Wade also drew the defensive matchup against Northwestern’s best shooter, Jitim Young, on more than half of his touches.

Ryan has shown confidence in Wade throughout the season, leaving the freshman to learn from his mistakes. Against UNLV earlier in the season, Devin Harris went to the bench with foul trouble in the second half, and Wade was brought in to run the point. Wade committed six turnovers, but Ryan left Wade in the game, and he remained calm despite his woes.

Much of Wade’s calmness under pressure can be attributed to his play in high school at Milwaukee Vincent, where he led his team to two consecutive state championships. His senior season, Wade received a first-team all-state selection by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel for his average of 15.3 points per game.

Not only is Ryan a fan of Wade, but so are his teammates.

“He’s doing a great job. When I’m in foul trouble he does a nice job at the paint, and when other guys get into foul trouble, he comes in and plays a nice two- or three-spot,” Harris said of Wade. “He plays good defense and gets a lot of offensive rebounds with his length, and he’s finishing them for us.”

If there’s one knock that Ryan has made on Wade, it’s his lack of being vocal on the court.

“Have you ever heard Boo say anything?” Ryan said, questioning the press. “Let me know if you do.”

Wade himself understands that some people think he’s a very quiet person, but he says, “I’m loud behind closed doors” in the UW Badgers media guide.

But Wade is still learning, and there’s a lot of room for improvement. He and fellow freshman Tucker have done a great job of listening and learning and will be looked to as leaders down the line for Bo Ryan.

Right now Wade has found his niche on this Badger team: to provide quality minutes off the bench and to be depended on if Harris or Freddie Owens fall into foul trouble.

His quiet play may seem a little bland, but Ryan is taking notice, and so are the fans, as they are quick to cheer his name when he picks up a loose ball and turns it back the other way. The numbers will come; he’s just 18 years old. Badger fans will be cheering his name for quite some time.