Rising Above Expectations

At the tip of the season, most agreed that preseason first-team All-Big Ten selection Kirk Penney would be the Badgers’ leader amid a promising support cast. What most did not anticipate was the extent of contributions that inexperienced players would immediately provide.

Through six games, Penney has averaged 18.3 points for Wisconsin (5-1) and is holding up his end of the deal. But Alando Tucker, Freddie Owens and Boo Wade have gone well beyond most expectations.

Against UNLV, Tucker registered a tremendous game for any player, regardless of experience. The freshman made his first career start at power forward, replacing 6-11 Dave Mader in the starting lineup. What Tucker lacked in height he unquestionably made up for in athletic ability — he was astonishing as he tore down 18 rebounds and poured in 24 points.

Head coach Bo Ryan hinted he would keep Tucker in the starting lineup for Wednesday’s matchup against New Hampshire (1-5).

“I usually need a reason to not have somebody where they were before. I do not see any difference here,” Ryan said. “Especially to have a 6-5, 6-6 four-man — it amazes me. He can match up real well with a lot of the four-men that we are going to play against.”

Amazing is an understatement. Tucker, who had 11 offensive rebounds against the Runnin’ Rebels, has electrified fans offensively with his high-flying alley-oop dunks. Tucker’s athleticism and versatility has even drawn comparisons to former Badger and NBA star Michael Finley.

As for Owens, his experience last year off the bench has proved precious as he has demonstrated the most consistency in the trio. While starting every game, Owens has averaged 17 points per contest. He was also named NABC Classic Tournament MVP for his impressive play against Eastern Washington and Northern Illinois.

“He has been opportunistic. Maybe once or twice, he has been in a situation where a shot has not been in the best interest of what we were doing,” Ryan said. “[But] Freddie has pretty good recognition of what his strengths are now and how he can help this team on the offensive end and on the defensive end. He is a player developing. Hopefully, he is not finished.”

And then there is reserve point guard Boo Wade, who has consistently delivered a boost in the backcourt off the bench. Ryan said Wade’s defensive play was influential in shutting down Marcus Banks, UNLV’s leading scorer.

“We got hurt by a couple other players scoring-wise that we didn’t necessarily expect, but for the most part I thought we kept in check the person that could hurt us the most and that was Banks,” Ryan said. “And that was in part to Boo Wade coming off the bench with a fantastic defensive performance.

“Boo did not score points, but rebounding-wise, keeping people blocked, even though you don’t get a rebound, he did an excellent job of that.”

The trio’s standout play is presenting Ryan with a difficult challenge: balancing playing time between the deserving and those who need preparation for the Big Ten season. Ryan said those who take advantage of their opportunities will be the ones seeing time on the hardwood.

“We are trying to get them ready for the Big Ten in practice every day and in game situations where we can,” Ryan said. “We have also tried to insert guys to get some minutes that way. Sometimes just getting out on the floor for two minutes helps young guys a lot.”